Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got my Blue Heeler pup on June 27th, he was born on May 16ish.

I've had some problems so far;

- He is extremely hard to get to walk on a leash, and tries to hide under my car when I bring him to the park.

- When playing, he is a very, very bad nipper/biter and has drew blood on people on a few occasions.

- Doing things like trying to file his nails leads him to nip at whatever hands he sees.

Any advice?

·
Registered
10,534 Posts
What you describe is typical puppy behavior, especially a pup that has been separated from mom and litter-mates too soon. By my estimates and the dates given the pup is only 5 1/2 weeks old, FAR too young to have been taken away from mom. Try to remember he's an INFANT, he has to be taught everything and should NOT be in public as his immune system is vulnerable to attack by Parvo, distemper and many other illnesses.

·
Registered
10,534 Posts
Oops, hit the send button too soon.

Go to the top of the first time owners section, there's a sticky called 'bite inhibition' it will help you teach the pup to have a soft mouth when playing. It's a lesson normally taught by mom and litter mates during normal interaction, Now it's a lesson you have to teach.

·
Registered
10,186 Posts
Carla is spot on.

Between 6 and 8 weeks of age, puppies learn bite inhibition from their littermates and mom. When you separate them early, it looks like 6 weeks in this case, they don't get that education. Humans can teach dogs bite inhibition, but it's harder for us to do and takes longer. There is a sticky, I believe in this forum, called The Bite Stops Here that is very helpful.

As to the leash thing, dogs aren't born knowing what a collar and leash are. How would you react if someone slapped something around your neck and then started pulling on it? You need to train to the collar and leash gently, with lots of praise and patience. She shouldn't be going to a park really anyway, she has no immunity.

Please check out the stickies at the tops of the forums. There is a wealth of fantastic information in them that any dog owner would benefit from. I'm not new to dog owning, but I learned a lot and refer to them again and again.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for responses. For clarification,

I double checked his paperwork, he's almost 8 weeks. The biggest problem is the nipping that is common in the breed. Sometimes he'll follow me no problem, other times he tries to herd me instead of following. Hopefully he'll get better with age and training.

·
Registered
17,917 Posts

I double checked his paperwork, he's almost 8 weeks. The biggest problem is the nipping that is common in the breed. Sometimes he'll follow me no problem, other times he tries to herd me instead of following. Hopefully he'll get better with age and training.
He's almost 8 weeks NOW, but he wasn't when he was separated from his mom and siblings. The period he'd have been learning from them, he was with you. Hence lack of normal bite inhibition. Yes, ACDs are nippy. Being away's made it worse, but regardless - go read that sticky. It's fantastic. (I say as someone with a pup about that age, separated about that time, with a biting problem - and by the way? She's a little fluffy mutt - no acd - but she has also drawn blood and been super timid. It comes with the 'separated too young' territory. ...My girl, by the way, was a dumpster puppy)

·
Registered
10,534 Posts

Nipping is not 'common to the breed', it's a part of being a PUPPY, puppies are SHARKS. He may be almost 8 weeks, but he was still too young to be separated from his siblings which is going to make things MUCH harder for you and him. Here are the threads I highly reccomend: The Bite Stops Here, Doggy Zen (for self control and 'leave it'), Rev Up/Cool down, Loose Leash Walking.

Still make sure you do NOT take him to dog parks and other public places until he's had his FULL series of puppy shots, Parvo and Distemper are NOTHING to play russian roulette with, both KILL puppies. You can enroll in a Puppy K that starts two weeks after the first set of shots (which is around 10 weeks) and I highly reccomend you do so as it will help greatly with his socialization, but he shouldn't be walking anyplace that there's a high risk of unvaccinated dogs having been (dog parks are one of those places).

1 - 7 of 7 Posts