Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So we have had our bernadoodle for 2 months or so now. He is 4.5 months old, and he poops and pees wherever he wants in my house, including the couches. We have tried treats for going potty outside, I have recently started attaching him to me via leash and that seems to work ok, but he still is not telling me when he needs go to outside. My wife has about had it(even though the puppy was her idea). Any tips or advice?

·
Registered
346 Posts
I would not allow him free reign of the house for starters. Confine him either to a crate or pen when you can not watch him. He is still very young. We got an 11 week old bichon back in December 2018. Hubby and I are retired. We took her out constantly and praised and treated her every time she would go outside. Then we would bring her indoors and she would pee on the kitchen floor. I thought I would lose my mine. Finally when she was close to 9 months old something clicked and she stopped going in the house. She just turned one last month. However mine doesn't really tell me that she needs to go out. Many dogs will bark and run to the door or scratch at the door. Mine will sometimes come to me and just whine. I ask her if she needs to go potty but she just looks at me. Sometimes she does need to go. But other times she just whines for attention or wants to play so it is hard to gage. Best of luck.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I would not allow him free reign of the house for starters. Confine him either to a crate or pen when you can not watch him. He is still very young. We got an 11 week old bichon back in December 2018. Hubby and I are retired. We took her out constantly and praised and treated her every time she would go outside. Then we would bring her indoors and she would pee on the kitchen floor. I thought I would lose my mine. Finally when she was close to 9 months old something clicked and she stopped going in the house. She just turned one last month. However mine doesn't really tell me that she needs to go out. Many dogs will bark and run to the door or scratch at the door. Mine will sometimes come to me and just whine. I ask her if she needs to go potty but she just looks at me. Sometimes she does need to go. But other times she just whines for attention or wants to play so it is hard to gage. Best of luck.

I sure hope mine doesn't take another 5 months lol. But yea, that is going to be the new rule. If we cant have him attached to us, he will have to go in his crate. I hope this works. We have no accidents when we do this, though it is horribly inconvenient.

·
Registered
45 Posts
We have trained Gracie to ring bells when she needs to go. The problem with that is of course she rings them when she's just bored (think 6 in the morning..). But, she used to have a bad habit of peeing a flood right before dinner. Basically the minute my back was turned, even if she'd just been out!
I think time helped the most. Once she (and her bladder) matured enough she knew what to do. Hang in there! It will get better.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts