Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 19-week-old dachshund/chihuahua mix. He only goes poop 2-3 times a day. Often, he doesn't have to go right after he eats, which I've heard a lot of other puppies have to do. Should I be worried, or is this normal? He usually poops when I take him out first thing in the morning, and then again in the afternoon. Sometimes, he'll go after breakfast as well, though he doesn't usually go after dinner.

·
Registered
3,674 Posts
Mine doesn't go right after meals. He goes first thing in the morning before breakfast, then he gets lunch around noon, and goes again around 4:30 or 5pm. He gets dinner at 7, and then will sometimes go again around 9pm, but often it's just the early morning and late afternoon poos!

·
Registered
4,350 Posts
Depends on the dog, and their own rate of digestion. If you keep a journal you may be able to see some similarities, based on when he's fed, what his level of activity is, etc. But, keeping a poop journal isn't for everyone! :)

My boy, Harper, he goes about 15 minutes after eating breakfast and dinner, plus one other time throughout the day, usually pretty random. Our girl, about 35 minutes or more after eating.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts