Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Our puppy Diesel is a 6 month old chocolate lab mix. He's such a well mannered puppy and very loving and playful. Since I am at home with him all day, we were able to potty train him in less than 2 weeks! I felt so lucky! He has always been really good about sniffing the door when he needs to go out, independently walking down the stairs of the porch and into the front yard to do his business. But in the last week we've had some strange issues with him. He seems afraid to go off the porch unless my boyfriend or I go down the stairs onto the driveway first and call him over. Once he gets onto the driveway, he won't go into the grass. In fact for a few days he would pee on the driveway! We recently put in new rocks to boarder the flower bed right next to the driveway, and he sniffs them all the time, and marks them from time to time. I thought maybe something about the rocks made him afraid to go into the grass, so I've been leading him to the grassy area on the other side of the driveway, away from the rocks. But even this is a struglgle. When we go outside, if i am in the grass and call him over, he will refuse to come into the grass. He will sit and then lay down on the driveway or walk back up on the porch and sit by the door. I know that he has to go to the bathroom when we go outsit, especially in the morning or when I know it's been a long time since he's been out.... and once he gets into the grass and sniffs around a bit, it is very obvious that he had to go very bad.

To try and get him used to the grass and peeing in the grass again, I've been using over the top praise, like I did when he was younger to initially train him. I also walk around the yard for a bit before and after he goes to the bathroom. We also have been taking laps around the house, but this only works after I win the struggle of getting him off the driveway and into the grass.

Could this be a serious problem? Why might he be so apprehensive about going into the yard after he was so comfortable with not only going into and playing in the yard, but he was doing it very independently before. I didn't even have to get off the porch for him to go into the yard to pee. Any suggestions on how to break this wacky fear?

Thanks!

liz

·
Registered
4,350 Posts
I don't have all the answers, but I do know that puppies go through several developmental stages, and around 5-6 months old I think they go through a fearful stage. It's actually the second fearful stage, I think! It's normal for puppies to react to things differently as they mature and develop!
As far as getting over the fear, maybe you could take him out on a leash when you go into the yard. He might feel more secure, like you are in charge, and will take care of him. Then when you get him comfy, you could try letting him off the leash.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts