Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We took our shiba in to the emergency vet last night and got her on some meds and subq fluids but she's having to go "poop", which is nothing but blood most of the time, about every 20 minutes.

I assume this means she probably has a blockage but we'll probably have to get an xray and then surgery if that's the case. This of course is EXTREMELY expensive so we're praying it doesn't come to that but we'll do it if need be.

Is there any chance she'll pass it on her own? Anyone else been in this situation?

Thanks! We're saying our prayers for her!

·
Registered
2,451 Posts
Did the vet examine her when you took her in? What was his diagnosis and recomendations? Also how old is she?

Pooping blood is a sympton of Parvo, which often affects young pups that haven't finished thier vaccines. If your pup is still pooping blood every 20 mins, then she needs to go back and stay there untill she's stable and the symptom has subsided. Parvo is very easy and cheap to test for; all the vet does is get a small stool sample, mixes it with soultion, and does a 5 min snap test. However it can be very expensive to treat. As your aware an X-ray & surgery is needed for a blockage which will be expensive as well. Both Parvo and Blockages are life threatening and shouldn't wait for treatment, despite the expensive cost.

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
Parvo is also very contagious and can stay on anything from your shoes to your carpet for seven months. If your dog has it, I would suggest washing everything with a bleach and water solution (1 part bleach to nine parts water), including the walls, carpet etc. -anything your pup has been in contact with. It's mainly transmitted through feces.

However, I hope your pup doesn't have it or an obstruction and that the vet can figure out what's going on.

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
How is your dog doing? Any updates?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts