Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My puppy is now almost eight months old, and he had picked up house training fairly easily--he was asking to go out pretty reliably. But now, these past couple of weeks, he's stopped asking to go out. Also, problem 2 is that he will go poop outside, but then he comes back in, and a little while later, he'll poop on the rug. I think the problem is that he doesn't finish going outside, but then he doesn't ask to go out again and instead just goes on the rug. What can I do to fix this? How do I make sure he's finished going before I bring him in so he stops going inside?

·
Registered
11,145 Posts
What I would do is this... If you used a crate for training, pop him back into the crate after the first time he's been outside for maybe 10 minutes, then take him out again. Repeat until he poops outside the second time, then reward lavishly and let him free in the house.

If you didn't use a crate for training, do the same basic technique except that instead of being in the crate keep him with you - on a leash or tethered to you with a leash - for that 10 minutes or so until you take him out the second time.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts