Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
3,673 Posts
It took a few weeks for us to figure out Hamilton's poop habits. At first he would ONLY go on the piddle pad in his pen overnight, or on the floor during the day, but never during potty breaks outside. Now we're all in a better routine. Our food/poop schedule looks something like...

6:30-7:00 am Hammie goes out and pees and poops. If the weather is bad he'll decide he only wants to pee. He doesn't win that fight, he stays out until he poops.
6:30-7:00 am Breakfast after he comes in from his pee/poop

12:15ish pm Husband home for lunch, Hamilton goes out and pees, sometimes poops, not always
12:30-1:00ish Hammie gets lunch (he goes out to pee again before my husband leaves)

4:30 I'm home from work, go out to pee & poop... though this last poop occurs sometime between 4:30 and 7:00, but he always goes again before dinner.

7:00 pm Dinner

So at 15 weeks now, he goes 2-3 times a day, and they aren't necessarily coordinated with meal times.

As for why he wants to go back inside -- for my pup... it's cold outside, it's wet outside, there's a weird noise, he was doing something inside that he wants go back in and continue doing, there's a cat looking at him from the door and he wants to go get the cat. Sometimes I think he's just in the habit of a quick out to pee because he does it 10X more than pooping, so he doesn't "remember" that he has to go all the time. The bell has come in handy for that, because he realizes he does need to go and will ring the bell if he has to go back out.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts