Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone!!

I had a very healthy schnoodle who recently passed away from a blockage that went septic after surgery. She was 15 years old. So, I now have a 5 month old puppy that we got from a rescue and I am still trying to figure his eating and pooping out.

We have had him for about 6 weeks. He was on Purina Pro Plan, but I heard that wasnt so great, so we are switching over to Blue Buffalo small breed puppy. He has had soft pooh on and off since we got him - kinda like playdough??? The vet put him on Purina Flortiflora, and he has had 4 doses so far (1/2 packet/day) and really no change.

He has had a fecal exam with nothing showing up in it. He gets Bil Jack training treats and Old Mother Hubbard biscuits, and chews on a bully stick.

Any ideas? He is acting totally normal, lots of energy, happy and playful.

Im just stumped! Is his food too rich?

Thanks so much, Im new to this puppy stuff and was happy to find this forum!!!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
He was a bit better on pro I think, but he didnt like it so wasnt gaining weight.

What kind of treats do you use?

·
Registered
2,584 Posts
The freeze dried liver treats are really REALLY popular with the dogs. super expensive but they're dry (so shouldn't add moisture to poo if thats the problem) and any dog will work for a tiny, tiny piece. Get the smallest one at petco/smart and try them, they might be easier on his stomach.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Hi Everyone!!

I had a very healthy schnoodle who recently passed away from a blockage that went septic after surgery. She was 15 years old. So, I now have a 5 month old puppy that we got from a rescue and I am still trying to figure his eating and pooping out.

We have had him for about 6 weeks. He was on Purina Pro Plan, but I heard that wasnt so great, so we are switching over to Blue Buffalo small breed puppy. He has had soft pooh on and off since we got him - kinda like playdough??? The vet put him on Purina Flortiflora, and he has had 4 doses so far (1/2 packet/day) and really no change.

He has had a fecal exam with nothing showing up in it. He gets Bil Jack training treats and Old Mother Hubbard biscuits, and chews on a bully stick.

Any ideas? He is acting totally normal, lots of energy, happy and playful.

Im just stumped! Is his food too rich?

Thanks so much, Im new to this puppy stuff and was happy to find this forum!!!
did you gradually made the switch with some pro plan and blue buffalo mixed together it has to be done within 10 days as not to upset the tummy?if you did its probably too rich

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
What brand are the liver treats?

Yes we did the gradual switch. Is there anything I can do to make it work? Has anyone tried the pumpkin or sweet potato thing? So if the food is too rich, the fortiflora will do nothing, right? I hate playing the food game, but what food would I try next? My hubby wants to try BB wilderness, but I'm worried it would be even richer!

·
Registered
262 Posts
What brand are the liver treats?

Yes we did the gradual switch. Is there anything I can do to make it work? Has anyone tried the pumpkin or sweet potato thing? So if the food is too rich, the fortiflora will do nothing, right? I hate playing the food game, but what food would I try next? My hubby wants to try BB wilderness, but I'm worried it would be even richer!
try natural balance Lid call for samples or nature's variety lid california natural has grain free with one protein have them send order you some samples at the local store

·
Registered
20,765 Posts
Try feeding him a bit less. Sometimes excess food comes out as soft poop instead of causing weight gain.

·
Registered
3,065 Posts
I've used the pumpkin with great success. Make sure it's not the canned pie filling.

It probably is the bb. If I were you I'd switch back to pro plan since he was doing fine. It's not a bad food if he was doing well on it.

IMO stay away from LID (limited ingredient diets) because they are designed for dogs with extreme allergies. Your pup is having diarrhea because the blue buffalo is too rich for him not because he is allergic to anything. They're also usually higher in starch with a very low protein content and are more expensive than much better foods.

·
Registered
740 Posts
Raw meaty bones will make the poo a lot firmer. When the poo is dry, it should almost be chalky. If your dog is pooing large amounts, it means the food he's eating isn't really being digested well. When Butters was on Blue Buffalo, her poo was enormous. After feeding her Tollden Farms, her poo is small, firm, and usually more dry than moist, though if she holds it in all day, it will come out more moist than normal.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts