Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
No reason for this post other than we adore our new baby Spanador Isobel. We lost our previous one (sweet Jadelynn) October 8, 2015 due to liver failure and finally added a new love to our home.

This is her. She's an amazing puppy, doing a phenomenal job with house training. She's only 12-13 weeks but has already learned "sit", "stay", "come", and "paw".

No accidents in the house since Friday ❤

Still working on "drop it" but that's a toughie with any teething pup. She loves to chew on her toys, occasionally a blanket, shoe, or pant leg, the odd finger here and there. But she's easy to redirect.

It's been 14 years since I did the puppy thing and I forgot how much work they are, and how they want to explore everything. It's so miraculous and wonderful, even though some moments are frustrating.

She slept through the night last night, making 4 in a row (the first week was rough but we let her cuddle with us for the second week, and now on week 3, she is happily sleeping in her OWN bed in the master). I wake her up once a night to potty and she goes right back to sleep.

What a darling. Enjoy the pics, and hope they make your hearts happy, I know they make mine happy!!!

Attachments

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
She sounds like a great puppy, and what a cutie! Congrats on your new addition.

·
Registered
363 Posts
She is just adorable. I am so impressed that you have been able to teach her all those commands. I got a new puppy a couple weeks ago. She is so active all the time that just to get her to sit is a major accomplishment. Are you crate training your girl? I would love to know how you have had such success with potty training already? I take my girl out and she pees outside. Then as soon as we come in, she usually pees again in the kitchen.

·
Registered
146 Posts
It's been 14 years since I did the puppy thing and I forgot how much work they are . . .
I am right there with you! It's been 15 years for me. Now I've got myself an ornery little 10-week-old border collie pup. She's a smooth coat, so she looks very similar to your Isobel.
My girl knows "sit" (verbal & sign, but tends not to comply if she's distracted. I can easily lure her into a down, but she does not yet know it as a command. Kudos to you for such advanced training with your little girl!
She is so ADORABLE!!!! What a sweet face. Such a good girl. Give her a tummy rub from me.

I got a new puppy a couple weeks ago. She is so active all the time that just to get her to sit is a major accomplishment. Are you crate training your girl? I would love to know how you have had such success with potty training already? I take my girl out and she pees outside. Then as soon as we come in, she usually pees again in the kitchen.
Ditto on the new pup a couple weeks ago. Ditto on the activity. Ditto on the potty outside only to be rewarded with a potty on the inside!
I think your little pup is my Bodie's soul sister. LOL

I've got my hands full this morning, what with the pup and a doctor's appointment but if I get a chance later, I'll post YET ANOTHER of those dreaded potty training posts (which I'm sure long-time members cringe when reading) to see if we can pick up some tips from others who are having success.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
I wish I could take credit for how well she's doing, but I think I just got lucky she is so darn smart! ?

My husband has also been a HUGE factor in her success, as he works in a small office and is permitted to bring her to work. His coworkers are dog lovers, and they're 100% supportive if he needs to leave a meeting to take her out or stop something he's working on.

DD has also been very helpful. She's 12 now and very responsible, and helps with training too. She wanted a pup as much as I did and she's committed (side note: she came with us when we put Jade down...amazingly brave for a 9 y/o girl...we told her she didn't have to, but she wanted to rub Jade's head as she said goodbye)

I believe it made her realize just how precious these animals are) and she has really, REALLY stepped up.

We absolutely GUSH over Izzy when she potties outside, loads of "good girls" and belly rubs and ear scratches. We don't use treats for potty but we do for the commands and being part Lab, she is VERY responsive to food ?

We ignored the few accidents, just cleaned them up and took her out, and praised when she went (again) outside and/or finished if we had interrupted.

We don't use a crate regularly but she has a pen on each level of the house (split level) where we can put her if we need a few minutes without worry. Toys in all of them so she can stay occupied till we are done with whatever we need to do.

As far as sleeping, I was worried about co-sleeping, but my gut said to do it for a short while...my husband agreed, and we *think* the reason she's ok on her bed alone is because she now feels secure in our home. It was awful sleeping on the floor with her at first but I think it was well worth it.

One thing we did was settle on the commands as a family, so we all say the same thing. I think it has helped avoid confusion.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts