Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 7 mo. old nuetered male Coton de tulear recently started urinating either at my wifes feet or if he sees her and cannot get to her. He has been house trained for several months now. I'm home all day with him and he never goes in the house even if I leave him alone for several hours. The behavior starts shortly after my wife returns home from work. We take him outside and scold him as he does this. He wants to be with my wife all of the time when she gets home and urinates when he becomes separated from her at the door or whatever obsticle is separatine him from her. I hope someone has an answer for this behavior because it is driving us nuts. thanks

·
Registered
4 Posts
Sounds like Submissive Urination. From what I understand it's a behavior that puppies know to show respect which will continue if they do not learn otherwise. Scolding him is actually a bad way to handle it because then he feels he needs to apologize and show respect even more and will continue urinate submissively. One thing you can do is teach your dog other ways to show respect (simple tricks like shaking hands) and to reward him with lots of treats and praise to boost his confidence.

Since he only does it around your wife then your wife should be the one to do the training the most.

·
Registered
2,220 Posts
The only thing I can think to do...
teach him what the desired greeting behavior is. Practice having her walk in and out of the door. Only praise/treat when he is greeting the way you want him to such as sitting. As he learns that the desired behavior elicits treats and such, he will naturally stop urinating. At least, that's my guess.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts