Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good morning..I've had Cilla for about a month now and she is about 5 months old..she was crate trained when I got her and spent most of her time in the crate before I got her because her owner worked and went to school..she knows to paw at the deck door to go out or sometimes I even leave to door open for her to come and go as she pleases yet she will pee on the floor at least once a day. It's hard for me to catch her unless she does it right in front of me because it looks like she is sitting there when she pees..she does not sniff around before she goes..she just squats and goes..she also holds it so long that she barely makes it out the door and pees on the deck right outside the door..she does not poop in the house but also holds that til the last minute and sometimes don't make it off the deck..the other day I took her out to go on her leash to go and found she pooped on the steps..how is that even possible without falling off the step..also she will not go out in the rain..she will pee and poop I'm the house when it rains..does anyone have any idea how to get her to go out in the rain..she knows it's wrong because she hides from me under the table when I find it..I have never had to train a puppy since my last dog I rescued from the SPCA was about 9 months old and was already house trained..I lost him suddenly last month..he was 12 and thats when my husband got me Cilla..so any help would be greatly appreciated

·
Registered
337 Posts
Don't allow her to be unsupervised. Period. Also, she doesn't know what she's done is wrong.

Basically, it's time to start from scratch. Set up a potty/feeding schedule and be consistent about it. Leash her up every time to take her out so you know if she has or has not gone and you can get her to go where you ideally want her to in the grass. Initially, you're probably going to want to take her out once an hour or so and heavily reward when she goes outside with a high value treat right as she finishes. Regulate her water so she's not going to drink until her bladder is full and maybe cut her off as you near your last potty break at night. There are a lot of useful threads on potty training here.

·
Registered
2,911 Posts
Sounds like a pretty workable situation.

Firstly, do you scold your puppy for going inside the house, even if you find the pee/poo hours after she has gone? Her hiding under the table when you find it indicates to me that she has been punished for it previously.

Secondly, the easiest way to make sure your puppy doesn't go in the house and goes outside where you want her to is to keep her under constant supervision in the house. She should literally *never* be out of your line of sight unless she's in her crate. If she has an accident, don't scold her, just take her outside to the area you want her to go in and let her sniff around there.

She's too young to maintain her own potty schedule, and she seems to hold it until the last minute because puppies don't have proper bladder/bowel control until much later than 5 months. You should try to reinforce a set schedule, like taking her out every two hours on the dot. Make sure you lead her to an area you *want* her to pee/poop in, and reward her with praise and treats when she goes there. This will also help the 'not wanting to go outside in the rain' issue. Eventually, you can lengthen it to every 3 hours, and then every 4 hours.

Sounds like you just need to adjust a few things slightly and she should begin to understand that going to the bathroom outside in the grass is the behavior you want from her :)

ETA: Ha, DogTheGreat beat me to it!

·
Registered
99 Posts
First, I am so sorry about the loss of your older dog, and delighted that you now have a puppy to help with the transition. I sort of agree with the comments above, but your situation is quite common. Some puppies just can't hold their bladders for extended periods. If you catch her in the act, its okay to say a stern "no" and take her to the place outside you want her to go and praise her. If you scold her after the fact, the dog will not associate the scolding with the action of urinating on the floor in your house.

If you work, like many of us, taking your dog outside every 2 hours in not a viable option, and I agree, it will take a few months before you puppy has more control. Until such time, may I suggest a puppy pad to allow her to be comfortable until she is old enough to no longer need these. After training thousands of dogs on this issue, I can safely tell you that allowing your puppy to "go" inside while she is a puppy will not affect her training to go outside in coming months.

This is certainly thinking outside the (litter) box. Old school told us to scold our dogs, keep them crated, and force them to be submissive to us. While all dogs need to be trained as you would a child, there is no reason not to use a puppy pad right now and keep everyone happy.

·
Registered
2,911 Posts
I'd have to disagree with a few things said above...

Telling your puppy "no" when you catch her urinating simply means she is going to associate urinating in front of you with negativity. Which means that when you take her outside, she will be less comfortable going when you're around because you have scolded her for it previously.

Positive reinforcement, as I mentioned above, is much stronger - reward and praise when she goes where you want.

Also, if at all avoidable, don't teach your dog that going inside the house is okay by using puppy pads. You can look up multiple potty training threads on this forum and see dozens of members saying that indoor puppy pads will slow down the training process and create confusion when it comes to teaching her the proper place to go.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Thank you all for your reply and I will keep them all in mind as I try to train her..I didn't know she was too young to know that going in the house is wrong..I figured if she knows to paw at the door to go then she must be aware that that's what she's supposed to do..I do leash her and take her out but I but when I do I have to pull her down the steps and into the grass, which I don't understand since she plays in the yard all the time, it's like she is afraid of something when she is on her leash in the back yard.. looks at me like likes she afraid of me but its only when I leash her up to go potty..but is only when she's out back..she's fine if I leash her up and take her out front..I do not hit her but have told her no when I caught her going in the house and do praise her when she goes outside

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you..Kathleen..I miss him so much..he was my constant companion and protector..everybody knew to stay away from the lady with 5 cats and a crazy red pitbull..I didn't train him that way..he was like that when I got him..it was like I was his castle and he was the alligator infested moat around me..I don't think I will ever find another dog like him..he was really just an over protective big teddy bear that thought he was a lap dog and loved to lay his head in your lap and be petted and would drift off to sleep

·
Registered
428 Posts
Thank you all for your reply and I will keep them all in mind as I try to train her..I didn't know she was too young to know that going in the house is wrong..I figured if she knows to paw at the door to go then she must be aware that that's what she's supposed to do..I do leash her and take her out but I but when I do I have to pull her down the steps and into the grass, which I don't understand since she plays in the yard all the time, it's like she is afraid of something when she is on her leash in the back yard.. looks at me like likes she afraid of me but its only when I leash her up to go potty..but is only when she's out back..she's fine if I leash her up and take her out front..I do not hit her but have told her no when I caught her going in the house and do praise her when she goes outside
It's possible that if you have been disciplining her for pottying in the house, even with a stern verbal "NO", and then leashing her up to take her outside, she now associates 'potty + leash + owner = scary/bad' Some dogs are just very soft & sensitive to our tone of voice, body language & projected mood. If she is one such dog, then you being angry when you leash her up to take her out to relieve herself will make that entire situation scary for her.

I think you just need to be more proactive & take her outside *before* it's at 'critical mass'. Give her lots of opportunities to get leashed up & taken out for a chance to potty at regular intervals. Then you won't have to be rushed (which she could also perceive as 'angry') and make the entire process happy & upbeat. You might even consider adding in treats to the process to help counter act her already negative reaction. Treat when you call her over. Treat when you put on the leash. Treat for walking through the door. Treat for going down the steps. Then jackpot if she actually does potty! Then you can work towards phasing out the additional treats, and just go straight for the potty jackpot.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts