Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I don't know if it's normal... but this 4 month old pup goes peeing on all four legs ( like a horse ) and since he's a male isn't he supposed to go next to tree with one leg up ?!?!

any ideas?
thx

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Some people find it strange and funny that a male dog does it that way.
Is it a breed thing or an acquired "style" through training

·
Registered
27 Posts
I'm a first time dog owner, I have a male collie-lab mix. Just turned 7 months. And I noticed the same thing as you. My dog always crouched down a little bit (more leaning forward then anything) to pee. Which I noted as being a more female stance. I figured that lifting the leg up was learned by watching other male dogs.

Recently, within the last 2-3 weeks I've seen him lift his leg up a couple times, usually when marking territory. I don't know if he learned it from another dog or just grew into it. And I don't know if it's going to replace his squating with time.

Personally I don't care how he does it, as long as it's outside. I have yet to have anyone comment, and I would find it odd if someone did.

·
Registered
349 Posts
My German Shepherd didn't lift his leg until he was 1 1/2 years. At almost 7 now, he squats most of the time.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I forget where I read it, but I came across an article online that said male dogs don't immediately lift their legs-- I think it said 6 months was a normal time for that to occur. Probably something to do with sexual maturity. Also, alpha females will pee with one leg up....

1 - 7 of 7 Posts