Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We've had our Stella for a month now. Her training is coming along great....we're using a crate to housebreak her. We take her out very frequently and she's only had a couple of accidents in the house.

In the last week....when I get home from work...and come through the door....she runs to greet me and then squats down and tinkles. I scoot her out the door and into the yard and she finishes there.

It's not for a lack of having been outside...she could have been out just a half hour ago. My husband thinks she's so excited to see me that she's peeing.

She's an 8 month old Schnoodle. She's not peeing in the house at any other time. I am working on not making a big deal out of coming into the house. Trying not to get her worked up and excited when I walk in.

What can we do? Am I doing something wrong?

·
Registered
285 Posts
My puppy did this too for a while (he's a 4mo Yorkie) but if we ignored him for the first 15 minutes we got home, it usually got better. Just make sure also to keep moving. Don't stand in your entry way talking while the puppy jumps at your feet for the whole 15 minutes. We found that if we just kept moving quickly he was so busy trying to keep up he didn't pee! Hope it helps!

·
Registered
83 Posts
Haha, Remus totally does this too, especially with women who make a huge deal out of petting him and sweet-talking him. But we can tell when it's from excitement because he doesn't squat, it just splatters all over the place lol.

Anyway the vet recommended telling women to ignore him if he's gettin hyper, and only give him attention once he's calmed down, so he learns that being hyper won't get him anything.

·
Registered
5,284 Posts
Yeah.. it's from excitement.

If she is crated while you're gone, don't let her out of the crate right away. Wait until she calms down before letting her out.

Since she's a puppy, there is a very large chance that she'll grow out of it.

Don't forget to clean the areas that she's peed in with a special pet deoderizer.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
that's what the hub said....don't make a big deal out of her....walk into the house and walk by her. Hard....cuz she's so cute. Am very much hoping she grows out of it. She runs for me.....and right when she gets to me...does a little squat and starts to pee. Luckily we have linoleum on that floor.

We've only had her a month....and she only started doing this in the last week. Will work hard on restraining myself not to pay attention until she is calm and settled down!!

Other than this issue...she's doing great with her training....no other accidents in the house.

·
Registered
5,284 Posts
BTW, please do not scold her for this, as she can't control it. She isn't doing it purposely.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
yes....not scolding! I just hustle her right out the door and let her finish peeing outside. she's not peeing anywhere else in the house....and it's only when I come walking thru the door after work. She comes bounding right over and can't help herself.

Just hoping she can stop!!

·
Registered
6,195 Posts
Roxxy used to do this quite frequently. Now, not so much. She does at the vet but I think that's more of an anxiety thing. I never scolded her (or another dog I had that did it). If you do what these other much wiser posters have said, you should be ok. :D

·
Registered
2,170 Posts
I would get a urinalysis done to rule out a UTI. Another forum member (I can't remember who) thought she had an excitement-peeing dog a month or two ago, and it turned out to be a UTI. Cleared up easily with the right medicine.

It might be excitement peeing as you suspect, but I would definitely rule a physical cause first.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Didn't even think of the UTI.....as it only seems she pees when she sees me.....good idea to rule it out!!! Thanks!!

·
Registered
13 Posts
My family puppy Bailey did that. Our trainer advised us to completely ignore her, and walk/stand there staring at the roof, talking to ourselves or to others in the house as if she wasnt there. It Corrected the behaviour very quickly!

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
no uti....just excited.......i am going with the ignore her for 5 or so minutes when I get home....and then not get her all wound up.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
So...she's still peeing. I walk into the house very calmly....I put down my purse...my keys...stroll around....I ignore her....and as soon as I eventually reach down to pat her she pees!

ARrrrrrrgggghghhhhhhhhh! Other than the piddling when she sees me...she's totally housebroken....not uti.....she doesn't do it to my husband or guests....she only does it to me.

what am I doing wrong??????

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
what am I doing wrong??????
Come in the house and ignore her. That part is good. Don't even look at her as you open her crate. Then walk to the door and she'll follow you outside. Don't reach for her. Hang out outside with her. Try to get down on her level. Sit down or sit on the ground. You haven't looked at her or spoken to her this entire time. Once she comes to you for attention, hold out your hand WITHOUT looking at her. Only after she is relaxed do you look at her.

Don't reach down to pat her. Get down on her level so she can approach you.

I think she is super submissive to you. That's why you and no one else.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
We had big success in the house tonight!!!!! I came in...set everything down...didn't look or speak to her....I jokingly call it the "shun"...as in "Rob (husband), don't distract me I am shunning Stella."

She did settle down....she went into her crate and laid down. After a few min in her crate...I took her out...no pee. Came back in....I continued the shun until she was good and calm. It took about 20 min. Then I gave her a treat for laying quietly at my feet. (was that wrong?)

NO PEE! NO PEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts