Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 10 week old Lab/Shepherd mix. I know it takes time and getting mad doesn't help, but he only poops outside. I might be giving him more credit by assuming this but I think he pees inside just so he can go out and eat grass. I feed him 3 times a day and take him out just about every hour (give or take a few minutes). I am home all day long so I have plenty of time to watch him and he plays with his toys and runs around and just out of nowhere bam pees. any thoughts?

Thanks

Greg

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
Your last sentence describes how puppies that age usually pee. REally quick. It's hard to catch. I would take him outside and keep him out longer. Wait until he pees, praise him like he just won the lottery (good potty!) and then take him inside.

You didn't say, but are you using a crate inside? That's a good way to keep the dog from peeing for the time he's inside. You're on the right track, but letting a puppy that age have so much free time in the house (outside a crate) is just asking for accidents. And every accident reinforces the idea that it's ok to go inside.

Crate Training

·
Banned
7,942 Posts
You shoud do a search of the forums as there are lots of posts and threads on this subject.

First of all, you need a crate. Get one that is only big enough for the dog to stand up in and turn around in and lay down in. Take him out to pee and poop. When he does either say the exact same words and make a big deal over it (some people say "get busy" as the dog is peeing or pooping). Reward with FOOD for eliminationg outside. when you take him out for bathroom, do not paly with him.

IF he does not pee, bring him in, put him in the crate. In 15 minutes take him out again and wait for him to pee. If he doesn't in 15 minutes, bring him back ina nd crate him. Repeat. Eventually he will go outside. At that point praise him and give him food reward.

When you take him out to play, and he pees outdoors, praise and food reward.

When he is inside with you, tether him to you. Keep and eye on him. If he squats to pee, interrupt him and get him out. As he finishes up, praise and food reward.

NEVER punish him for going in the house, even when you catch him doing it. This only teaches him one thing: It is Dangerous to Pee in your presence.

When he is in the house and not in the crate, watch him like a hawk. Never let him out of your sight. If you cannot watch him, crate him. Most dogs will not pee or poop in a confined crate (unless they are from a place where they had no choice and were forced to be dirty).

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you both for the great ideas, sorry I will search next time before posting. I will try everything you suggested. :)

·
Banned
7,942 Posts
Good luck. It is usually very easy to train a Shepherd (or at least a German Shepherd) to eliminate outdoors. They like to be clean (at least mine have).

·
Registered
28 Posts
Labs are easy to train too :D
I constantly reward my pups for pottying outside. They get a treat and I praise them. They usually let me know when they are ready by going to the door and ringing the bell we have hanging there. Just be patient! They'll get it :D Good luck ;)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts