Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I recently adopted a 1.5 year old housebroken dog. He's house broken but I am away from home for work and can't make it back to let him out. He is holding it till I make it home. I am gone for about 11 hours! I did get some of his urine on a napkin when he went outside and dabbed it on the pad but still no go. He hasn't had any accidents in the house but I am afraid that when he gets much older, there will be consequences. Any ideas?

·
Registered
7,335 Posts
Random suggestions:

-Hire a dog walker to pop in during the middle of the day to let him out
-Put a potty pad in your house by the door just so he has the OPTION of using it

Otherwise, I will say that although it is not ideal as a general rule, some dogs (like mine) are totally comfortable holding it for 11 hours. If I come after 11 hours my ~12 yr old dog will still need coaxing to go outside (rather than schmooze with me and be pet) for his potty break. He won't even go out for a midday break (which my puppy appreciates). Like, flat out refuses to go outside. He is still reasonably active and loves being outside in general, so I know it's not due to pain or a dislike of the outdoors.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts