Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have had my puppy for about 3 weeks now and in the past have always taught her that we go outside to potty. She knows when outside she needs to potty but still has a few accidents inside. I recently bought training pads as well for if I'm gone or when it's really bad out. I bought the kind that are supposed to make her want to go and i put her on them during her regular potty times and after feeding but so far no luck. I tried rubbing the crystals in the pad to see if that would release a smell but that only made her want to play. So I poured a little water on it, that didn't work either. I am using the crate training method as well. Does anyone know if the smells in the pad actually helps or am I just as well off using newspaper? Any tips? Hoping to just use the pads while she is too young to hold it for long and on bad days.

Thanks a lot!

·
Registered
3,722 Posts
Don't use puppy pads. Seriously. I've seen so many dogs learn that it's ok to pee inside the house due to puppy pads. It's better to just teach her to go outside and properly housetrain her. If she has an accident inside on rainy days, then so be it. It's better that she has an accident on the floor than that she learns that puppy pads are ok.

·
Registered
243 Posts
I think the puppy we just got (almost 6 months old, from a previous owner) was pad trained. I'm new to dogs, but based on what I see with him I wouldn't recommend pad training to anyone. His house training is getting better, but any piece of fabric on the floor or a bed is definitely in danger of getting soaked. Towels, dirty laundry, clean laundry, blankets, etc... If he's going to go in the house he seems to think peeing on things like that is appropriate. Honestly, it makes it easier to clean up (throw the item in the laundry) but I'd much rather he not think going inside the house is appropriate at all.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Our Chi-mix is pad trained. While I wouldn't recommend it for everyone, we decided to do this since it my wife has some health/mobility issues. We also have cats so we were able to set up the pads in roughly the same location as the litter boxes. All of it is on rubber mats.

The training was fairly easy and worked just like regular housebreaking. We would watch for her to start doing the typical circling and such and take her to the pad. We used puppy training spray on the pads when we first started but I don't think this had much effect. After she went, she would get praised. She picked it up pretty quickly and she hasn't had any accidents anywhere in the house. I was surprised by how quickly she caught on to what to do, even as a young puppy.

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
I typically wouldn't recommend puppy pad training, unless your situation absolutely requires it. It's always better to just get them properly house trained, otherwise they will always think it's okay to go to the bathroom inside.

·
Registered
3,674 Posts
We left a pad in our puppy's xpen overnight, and when we went to work -- though he was never left for more than 4 hrs without a break, generally more like 3.5 hrs. We never taught him to use them, it was more of a contingency plan if he couldn't wait, and he used them on his own (it was the only absorbent surface in his pen, so that might have been why). They were taken out around 12 wks when he stopped going overnight and when we were at work. The rest of the time - HE WENT OUT! Bad weather? Too bad! We all suffer standing outside! Better go quick! We never really asked him to hold it for long periods of time. We always made contingency plans for if we were going to be gone more than 4 hrs. Sometimes that meant a friend or dog walker came over, but we made sure he got out.

I don't know where that falls in the spectrum of being pad trained, because we never really trained him, and they were taken away as soon as he showed he was able to hold it by not using them. He was fully housebroken around 5 months, and he is the only dog who hasn't peed or pooped inside at play group this winter! Haha. I think that means we did a good job, because he knows you don't pee in our house, or inside anywhere else!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts