Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I tried to cut her nails today and it was incredibly stressful for her. She started growling and barking and you could tell she totally hated it.

should I just pay a groomer to do it? I'm so scared of hurting her or putting her under extra stress. How much does it cost and how often do you guys do it? Will she be ok with it as she gets older?

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
Reactions: hanksimon

·
Registered
256 Posts
Since watching "an expert" quick two of my dog's nails one after another years ago, I do my own. Instead of paying someone else to do it, pay someone to show you how to do it properly so you are confident, not afraid. Don't expect your puppy to ever like it, but she can learn to tolerate it, especially when you start at puppy age.

·
Registered
288 Posts
I do 'vet' training with my boys every sunday morning.. I ask to see eyes ears and teeth then I check their nails just feeling each one in turn.

The boys have got used to me doing it so when George got an ear infection and needed treatment the vet was shocked that he didnt need a muzzle. She said he didnt like it much but he was so good..

Start practicing these checks make it a game with treats and then if you decide to do it yourself or go to a professional your dog wont be so stressed about being handeled next time.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I think you should try Pet nail grinder or Dog nail grinder. It's a very useful gadget for the pet owner. I have been using this for the last six months and never had any problem with it and one more thing is that it's noise-free. Click here to check the product.

·
Registered
585 Posts
The very first groomer that handled my 6 month old pup managed to quick all 14 toes. Since then, my dog would not tolerate scissor or guillotine type. I have managed to slowly get him to tolerate a grinder, but he is still very twitchy.

I began with 1 toe = 1 treat. Sometimes, the task would take all day to trim his nails. Now, its 1 paw = 1 treat and it takes about 20 minutes to finished the task. Often I need to do 1 paw interspaced with other grooming tasks interupt the trimming. Always finish with a Jackpot treat.

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
I hate doing nails. Both my dogs will stand fine for it, I just find it nerve-wracking. It doesn't help that they both have rock hard black talons. So for me it's worth the $15 the vet or the groomer charges to have someone else do it. I consider it a lot like changing the oil in my car...something everyone SHOULD know how to do, but that is often more convenient to leave to a pro.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts