Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had a Border Collie pup for nearly 3 months now (he's almost 5months) and we've just realized that he is getting too much exercise (around 2hrs per day including 30mins of running). I've just read up on the effects of over exercising on the hips of dogs and how it can lead to hip dysplasia. I am very paranoid that he might have hip dysplasia. He seems to sway a bit when he walks and he seems to have a bit of a bunny hop. However, he's been doing this since he was 2 months and I've heard it's normal for poppies? What should I do about this situation? I will definitely cut down exercise to just 2 daily walks of 30minutes (is that suitable for him?). Also, I'm planning to switch his food from puppy food to adult food as I've heard that puppy food is too high in calories and may result in hip problems. Is there anything else I should do?

·
Registered
180 Posts
I think you're listening to too many sources. Vacines are bad, vacinines are good, grain is bad, grain is okay, running, jumping is bad, running jumping is okay, too much, not enough, etc.... Every dog is different, just like us. Some like to be very active, some are more sedentary. If the dog is happy, not in pain or totally exhausted early in the day, then, I think you're doing okay.

I have wolfdogs, high energy by nature and, even on the days we don't walk on leashes, they will run laps for a good 30 minutes 4-5 times per day in their half acre enclosure. I've never had one get dysplasia. At five months 30 minutes might be too much running, too tiring for the pup, but, 30 per day done in five or ten minute bursts seems fine to me. Another 1.5 hours walking is fine.

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
Was his 2 hours of exercise free playing, or were you walking and running him that much? Free exercise, where he can go at his own pace and stop and start as he pleases is okay. On the other hand, forced exercise, where you set the pace and distance (like leashed runs and fetching games), aren't so great for young pups, and can cause damage to the growth plates (areas where bones are still forming).

The calories in a food don't really have anything to do with hip dysplasia, unless you are feeding him to the point that he's overweight. For a dog expected to mature at 50 pounds or less, then regular puppy food should be fine.

Puppies tend to be a bit "loose", simply because they are puppies.

This is a good podcast about puppies and exercise. http://fenzidogsports.libsyn.com/e54-debbie-torraca-puppies-and-exercise

1 - 3 of 3 Posts