Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

Puppy out of control

1K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  Cane Corso mama 
#1 ·
I just got a puppy a few days ago, and as each day passes, his behaviour is getting worst. I read and saw a lot of videos on youtube on training and raising it. Exercising him, but the thing is, he doesnt want to play with me much. After a few minutes of exercising he loses interest. Even after changing toys. This just keeps going on.

Treat also doesnt work much on him too. I constantly trains him day and night. And the dilemma of saying exercising him helps with training. But he isn't exercising much. I taught him sit, once he get the treat, he ignores me after that. And I have to use the treat to get his attention again. After a few times he just ignores me again. I dont think I train him for very long, around 5 minutes before he start ignoring me

He also has a lot of bad behaviour like biting my bed, pee pad, his bed. He even started to hump a toy. Which I push him aside immediately. He also likes to bite my face when I get down close to him. The internet says all this can be curb using treats, commands or toys to distract it. But he is ignoring toys and commands.

I've also made a mistake when introducing the collar. Now he just jumps away when the collar touches his neck. And he keeps chewing the collar, when I use treats and command to distract him, it isn't working too.

I also need to start grooming him soon, but I dont have enough time to desensitize him to the equipments or cleaning. I wanted to used wet wipe to clean his eyes from tears and stuff. I used treats and tried to desensitize him to the wet wipe. But he keeps biting the wet wipe or worming out of the wet wipe.

I have work and I hand him over to my friend to take care of. He has a dog too, so they play together a lot. Might this be the problem? He is having more fun with the other dog that he ignores me?

I am at lost on how to train him or where to start.

See less See more
#2 ·
Congratulations, you have a totally normal puppy :D

Think of the training you are doing now as sowing seeds. You are not going to see consistently proper behavior until his brain finishes growing in. But if you get him started on the right foot your efforts will eventually come to fruition. That said, you can make headway, especially on things like bite inhibition and desensitizing him for grooming. But stuff like chewing and challenging boundaries is normal youngster behavior. Not to say you should just tolerate it - you should manage it so it doesn't become an adult habit. But be aware that it's typical, not a sign your pup will be a monster.

I haven't read this particular book, but I really like the way Dr. Sophia Yin explains things in her other writing that I've seen - maybe check this out?

#4 ·
His 9 weeks old, it's a havanese. I got from from a breeder a week ago.

My friend has a dog, so he doesnt have much problem with my puppy as they tire each other out.

The problem is when I get him back from my friend. I do play with him, but he doesnt seem to be excited about playing. So I cant think of a way to tire him out. I tried different toys. Maybe the choices aren't enough? And sometimes during lure training, he gets distracted and doesnt train. Sometimes biting himself, or the rug that we are training on.

And now he hates anything that goes around his neck, collar, leash, harness. I tried to desensitize him, but it doesnt seems to be working. I treat him everytime after i put it on. I cant bring him out on walk yet, due to not being vaccinated. Does putting him in a puppy bag and walking outside tire him out?

And also i think its separation anxiety? How do I make it better? I spend all my available time with him. But I still need to shower, cook for myself and run some errands sometimes

#5 ·
1. A 9 week puppy may be tired after playing and not want to play. Before you take him to play, you might try a little play at home, possibly shaking a cat toy, or a length of rope, dragging it back and forth on the floor in front of him to get him interested in the motion. ... In about 3 more weeks, he will be more interactive.

2. With lure training, at 9 weeks, you are probably lucky to get 5 minutes of attention. Again, in about 3 more weeks, his attention should improve. It is OK to teach him for 2 - 3 min., let him play or explore, then teach for 2-3 min. more.

3. Ask your friend about putting on his collar, then letting the dogs play. The play distraction may make him ignore the collar enough to get used to it.

4. If you carry him, he probably won't get tired. If you have a backyard, and you run from him, does he ignore you?

5. Separation anxiety is a situation where the dog gets very scared and anxious, tearing things up out of frustration. Nothing that you describe sounds that extreme, or even "velcro dog" where he wants to be around you all the time. He's probably just a very young puppy that can't run very well or see very well, yet.

6. It is OK to carry when you run errands, but in the yard and house, try not to carry him like a stuffed toy ... make him walk and follow you himself ... Or put him away in the crate, if you can't watch him, while you are training him not to potty in the house. It's OK to sit with him while you watch TV or the computer...

#6 ·
I totally agree with all of the responses! You have a completely normal 9 week old puppy!

1. Puppies get the "puppy crazies" multiple times a day. The best thing to do is to embrace it by running around with your pup, laughing, clapping, and being silly too. This will not only help wear him out sooner, but it'll help you two bond!

2. As much as you may want to have the puppy on your bed, he shouldn't be-- especially until he's housebroken. Plus, your bed is YOUR space! (See #3)

3. Most importantly: claim your space. Pretty please! It sounds like right now he is in charge of your house, so of course he's not going to listen to you and he'll act like a little hooligan. The biggest reason your friend isn't having issues isn't because of the other dog, per se, but because she is the leader of her pack. Your pup knows that when he goes to visit, so he follows her lead and behaves. You need to reclaim your home and let him know your the head of your pack, and he'll be happy to follow! :)

This is something you can do with gentle, but firm, action. You wouldn't let a human child come into your home, running around, rummaging through your things, jumping on your bed, going into your kitchen, tearing your home apart and making a mess, right? You'd put your foot down and stop it-- not by yelling and screaming, but explaining expectations and setting boundaries! Your pup needs the same thing, just in a puppy way of understanding.

A good start might be to go and quietly observe your pup in your friend's home, as well as how your friend corrects him. Additionally, pay attention to your friend's "energy" around her dog.

Don't worry, your puppy is normal, and you're going through normal growing pains of every first time puppy parent! Heck, I have a 9 week old Cane Corso (nowhere NEAR my first pup!), and I still get frustrated at times, because you still have top factor in the individual personality of the pup (which is why observing him at your friend's home will help a lot!).

Don't worry, he'll outgrow the "crazies"! But the sooner you know in your heart that you can do this, and become the parent and leader he needs and wants, the happier and healthier you both will be! :giggle::giggle:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.