Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My Mini Schnauzer-Shih Tzu mix is 7 months old and I've had her on Advantage Multi from my vet since her first visit at 2 months old. She's indoor AND outdoor potty trained. She goes on her wee-wee pad in its holder when inside and I always check her poop. Yesterday when I got up, she had evidently got up and was sick several times during the night. There was one that I saw and picked through it. I think she chewed something off of a toy....it had lots of fuzz in it (I've since when through all of her toys to check for safety) and the rest were just little puddles of bubbly white stuff. Then for the very first time ever, when she went poop, there were little white "worms" (not wiggling) that looked like large rice grains. I picked it all apart with paper towels and EVERY stool since then (I know....yuck!). But there was NONE what so ever in any other stools but that one.

Okay....my question.....since I did call the vet, they said come in and get worm meds and didn't even ask for a sample of the stool....so I'm not sure I trust that.

My question....with her on Advantage Multi, could it be that it had flushed something out? Could she have just had a few from something she ate? I'm not sure how the worm things develop....but like I said, it was the very first time ever she had anything like that in her stool and....maybe about 5 stools later....none have been in those stools. They were a good consistency and perfectly clean....yep...picked them totally apart again....so I'm wondering what could be or have been going on there. I also washed down her "wee-wee trainer" (it's made of plastic) very well with Lysol and again with alcohol.

Any feedback on this would put my mind at ease. OH....by the way....that was the only time she got sick and threw up....nothing like that since night before last.

·
Registered
13,075 Posts
Take a stool sample with you to the vet. Sometimes they don't remind a person. It is good to know what parasite they need to medicate for.

Also could she have eaten something inside the toy that looks like worms or rice? She could be throwing up from what she ate that was foreign or worms ... both would do that. Going to the vet is the best idea. :)

I am not sure about the meds. Good for cleaning up the potty areas with lysol ... be sure to rinse well in case the dog licks anything. :)

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The reason I was hesitating on taking a stool sample since that one is that there has been absolutely nothing in them since then. Believe me....I really picked them apart very well...nothing like that one was there. I don't know what on earth she could have eaten from a toy that would put something like that in her stool. The more I thought about it....everything she's played with....because it's the first time she's ever gotten sick or threw up....the only new toy was a tennis ball someone gave her and she chewed a lot of the fuzz off of it before I noticed. Then I found her in the bedroom the other day....I thought she was taking a nap in her crate....and there she was chewing on a plastic hanger and part of the tip was GONE!!! I took it from her immediately and threw it away....but that plastic could have done something to make her sick. You know the big colored ones? She had the WHOLE curved tip chewed off and it was nowhere to be found...so she must have eaten it. Plastic hangers are now NEVER left on the edge of the bed or on a chair....she got up on one to get that hanger. They will all be hanging in the closet where they should be. What do you think? The plastic could have done that???

·
Registered
13,075 Posts
The reason I was hesitating on taking a stool sample since that one is that there has been absolutely nothing in them since then. Believe me....I really picked them apart very well...nothing like that one was there. I don't know what on earth she could have eaten from a toy that would put something like that in her stool. The more I thought about it....everything she's played with....because it's the first time she's ever gotten sick or threw up....the only new toy was a tennis ball someone gave her and she chewed a lot of the fuzz off of it before I noticed. Then I found her in the bedroom the other day....I thought she was taking a nap in her crate....and there she was chewing on a plastic hanger and part of the tip was GONE!!! I took it from her immediately and threw it away....but that plastic could have done something to make her sick. You know the big colored ones? She had the WHOLE curved tip chewed off and it was nowhere to be found...so she must have eaten it. Plastic hangers are now NEVER left on the edge of the bed or on a chair....she got up on one to get that hanger. They will all be hanging in the closet where they should be. What do you think? The plastic could have done that???
I would imagine anything foreign would make them ill. Leeo just had to be rushed to the ER last week for a bunch of " stuff " he had ingested. Still do not know what it was .... I puppy proof my house very well. At almost 6 years old he got into something somewhere? Maybe stuffing from a couch pillow or he ate his dinner and his brothers dinner without me realizing it while my back was turned doing dishes? Thought it was bloat and thought he was going to die. I have bee picking apart poop for a week now too.

Obstructions are what I worry the most about. Do you know if it was chewed into pieces or swallowed whole ... that is the scary part. :(

·
Registered
4,727 Posts
If it was a "fuzzy" toy she chewed on, some of them have little packets of rice in them to make their bottoms heavy so they will sit. (if that makes sense). Whenever I get stuffies for my dogs I always check to make sure they do not have the packets in them as it makes such a mess on the floor if they happen to tear them apart. Could this be what you saw?

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Obstructions are what I worry the most about. Do you know if it was chewed into pieces or swallowed whole ... that is the scary part. :(
I have NO idea because the tip was gone by the time I caught her with the hanger. I've watched her very closely since then and nothing else has shown up and she's acting playful and normal since the getting sick thing was over. I'm SO sorry about your Leeo....I absolutely know how worried you must have been. When I saw all of Missy's throw up, my heart went into fast mode and I was worried sick. I've been watching her closely ever since and, like you, picking poop apart until it's almost liquid. SIGH....pups!!! We love them dearly and they can scare us to death at times.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
No.....there was no packet. It was a regular tennis ball and she just sort of shredded the outside little by little until it looked like a ball with "bad hair" by the time I saw it. She can be a bit "sneaky"....sometimes she napping in her crate, I get busy doing something, I go in to the room where her crate is, and there she is chewing on something. But I've puppy proofed everything since I realized she can do this...checking all of her toys and checking on HER more often to see what she's up too.

·
Registered
5,406 Posts
Sounds like tape worms. I don't think the preventatives cover those, and they generally don't show up in fecal samples, unless the dog is shedding segments.

·
Registered
11,145 Posts
Sounds like tape worms. I don't think the preventatives cover those, and they generally don't show up in fecal samples, unless the dog is shedding segments.
Agreed. Tapeworms are one thing that often can be diagnosed over the phone from the description and they are affected by different drugs than most other parasites. Because they shed egg packets instead of individual eggs, they very rarely show up in fecal samples. It's far more likely that an owner is just going to see them in the stool at home.

·
Registered
176 Posts
I have a puppy that at 4 months I noticed one long spaghetti looking worm in her poo. I called the vet and they said it was a roundworm and to come get the medicine which was a little pill that they said she would love, like a treat. Well, she didn't like it but we got it down her. It stayed in her 3 hours and then she went through a vomitting fit....about 7 times until everything possible came up. I felt so bad for her but of course the vet was closed by then. I probably should have called them but I didn't and I have watched her poo ever since then and have NEVER seen another one of these worms. Either the medicine was inside her long enough or it was just a fluke we saw that one. If I see another i will talk to the vet and tell them about her vomitting...maybe they have another kind of worm med.
Also...they never did ask me to bring in a sample....just went by my description of the worm.

·
Registered
1,540 Posts
Talk to your vet, the manuf of advantage multi have specific guarantees on dogs getting parasites while on their preventative except if Tape worm, not covered by this preventative.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts