Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My girlfriend has been hard at work training Pepper, a muttpup, tricks. She knows:

• Down
  • Sit
  • Shake
  • Roll Over
  • Leave It
  • Turn Around

While working on "Play Dead", we start Sit, Down, then "Bang! Play Dead!" Pepper got it at first (last night) but after about 4 times, she won't lay down. She sneaks behind us and kind of mopes.

My girlfriend tried to teach her "Turn Around", "Crawl" and "Dead Dog" all in one night. Maybe she's confused?

Any ideas? Is this typical? Maybe just need a few days off?

Thanks for the help!

·
Registered
34 Posts
Maybe she was just tired. Most of the time you have to train a puppy in short spans of time. I would say no more than 5 or 10 at the most depending how old they are, they don't stay interested enough. I would just keep try maybe the next day she will get it and she is doing good if you have already taught her the basics. :)

·
Registered
3,365 Posts
Which method has your GF used for the "dead dog" trick ? ... Shaping ? Luring ? Capturing ?

If she used any amount of hands-on "manipulation", maybe that's it. Most dogs seem to find that "belly up" is an uncomfortable / VULNERABLE position to be in, especially if they've been "forced" into it, even in the name of fun.

Your GF will have to build / rebuild the dog's trust slowly if she's set on teaching this one. I'd suggest sticking to luring or shaping methods if she's not already doing so. And if your pup continues to show a disinterest in this particular trick, perhaps it's best to eliminate it from the repetoire altogether and select one of the many other fun tricks to take it's place.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts