Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My puppy is 16 weeks old and about 14lbs - when I put his food down in the morning, he sniffs it and walks away. He may go back to it, but he only eats a tiny bit. I pick the food up because I don't want to make it available to him all day (hard to potty train that way), but when I give it back later, still - not too interested. EVENTUALLY he eats that one bowl full (only 2/3 cup).

He is not getting table food adn not a ton of treats. Thoughts?

·
Registered
85 Posts
If he is otherwise healthy, I would try a different food. My adult dog did this a couple of months ago and when I tried a different food, he started eating regularly again.

·
Registered
10,186 Posts
What are you feeding him? We could make some recommendations.

If he's otherwise normal, pooping, playing, etc. normally, I wouldn't worry too much, I'd just switch his food.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Keep an eye on his drinking and voiding habits to make sure he's getting enough fluid and processing it normally. If he's not drinking or eating enough, take him to the vet right away. Otherwise, you can take some time to trouble-shoot by seeing if his appetite returns on its own, if adding a bit of wet food helps, or if a different brand of food makes a difference. Watch his body shape to see if he's losing weight or maintaining it. Don't trust the bag of food to tell you how much food is right for your puppy because it's usually wrong. If he starts to look too scrawny and you've tried to entice him to eat with no success, take him to the vet.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts