Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, joined the forum because I'm having some problems with my 1 year old dog. I've had him since he was around 9 weeks old. My friend has his brother. They're both on the skinny side with long legs. The brother is a bit more muscular. He was always gaining weight steadily whereas mine has hovered around 15.4 kilos for over 4 months now. He is extremely active and seems healthy, but I think its odd that he hasnt gained any weight. I was feeding him kibble for the first 6 months. I went on vacation with him and my other dog for 3 weeks and he lost 2 kilos from stress (wouldnt eat) so I started to feed him wet food. He gained the 2 kilos back in a month or so but hasnt really gained any weight since even though I feed him as much as he wants. I even started him on raw food about a month and a half ago, supplemented with vitamins, just because he seems to prefer it. He never really liked the kibble and wasnt into the wet food too much either, but he really likes the raw meat, but still no weight gain. He's a mixed breed dog, possibly looks like border collie or dalmatian. My dogs brother is 19 kilos. My other dog is gaining weight because of the extra food. Also, gave him worm pills and didnt notice any worms in stool. Any ideas what this could be and if this is a problem?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
he could be a mix of 10 things, I dont know what exactly he is. I'm just worried that he's only 1 year old and he's been the same weight since he was around 6 months old. I didnt measure his height, so I dont know if he grew, but I think he did. So basically if he did it means he's growing without gaining weight.

·
Banned
1,765 Posts
Oh sorry I guess i missed you said he looked like a border collie or dalmatian.

34lb isn't really super light for something like border collie, they're pretty medium sized. I'm not sure how much weight a pup should gain between 6month - 1 year though.

·
Registered
13,075 Posts
I would think that if his bones were sticking out bad everywhere ... then he would be considered underweight. I know of a pup who was growing taller but not gaining weight ... was looking very boney ... and he had tape worms. But it took a vet to diagnose and treat them. They can be difficult to see in stool.

This pup got tape worms from eating raw too ... rabbits and racoons!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I would think that if his bones were sticking out bad everywhere ... then he would be considered underweight. I know of a pup who was growing taller but not gaining weight ... was looking very boney ... and he had tape worms. But it took a vet to diagnose and treat them. They can be difficult to see in stool.

This pup got tape worms from eating raw too ... rabbits and racoons!
Thanks! I'll have him checked out soon. Its just funny because my other dog was getting chubby at the same time, so unlikely that one has worms but not the other?

·
Banned
1,765 Posts
I think all kinds of worms are from ingesting worm larvae that were present either in raw meat or poop or fleas etc depending on the type of worm. So it's certainly possible that one dog ate something that the other didn't.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts