Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This may be completely normal, but I'm curious if anyone has had this issue before.

Our puppy is a mix between a number of breeds, but both parents were around 40-50 lbs. She was gaining about a pound a week until she hit 4 months, then she completely plateaued, gaining only 1 pound the next month. She is current 5 months old and 21lbs. She eats whatever we put in front of her (though she usually coughs it up at least once to re-eat) and is extremely high energy (the two main breeds are Aussie and Border Collie), but she isn't growing.

Dogs I've had in the past never had this type of plateau. They kept growing until at least 9 months.

Is this just a lull in growth that is common in puppies, or is this something that should be checked out as it's not right? Or, should we increase her food intake? (We feed her 1.5 cups of dry kibble a day.)

Thanks for any direction you can provide.

·
Registered
7,296 Posts
I wouldn't be concerned if everything else checks out. It wouldn't hurt to offer another quarter or half cup and see what happens. But body condition is more indicative than anything else. If she is healthy and not gaining, she's probably fine. If she starts to get bony then increase food. My coworker's dog (BC/x) plateaued at about that age. She did gain a little more weight in the next few months but she is just a petite dog in general.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts