Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have had our shih-tzu maltese cross male for almost 3 months now and he is almost 5 months old. We bought him from the pet store and the lady that works there showed us which food he had been eating. So we bought that food but he didn't want it. We added wet food to it but that didn't help. So my parents have been feeding him people food since. Chicken, potato, spaghetti, ham, cheese, etc. And so last time we went to the vet (about 1-2 weeks ago), she told us that he was getting fat. When we got him he weighed 4 pounds, a month later he weighed 6 pounds, a month later he weighed 8.6 pounds, and 2.5 weeks later he weighed 10.8 pounds. The vet told us to switch him to dry food instead of people food and if he doesn't want to eat, then add little pieces of lean meat. So we tried that and he just picks out the meat. So we took out the meat all together and gave him just dry food. He will not eat. I'll set the bowl down for about 20 min. and take it away. He will not touch it. He didn't eat any breakfast yesterday, a little bit of supper, and no breakfast this morning and no supper. How can we get him to eat?? Any tips or experience is appreciated. THANKS!

·
Registered
3,385 Posts
Not even going to say anything about getting him from a pet store.

He'll eat when he's hungry, if your vet says he's healthy, just a little fat, keep putting it down for 20 minutes.

NO table scraps!

Pick the bowl up, put it down later, he'll eventually get hungry and eat his kibble.

What kind of kibble are you feeding?

·
Registered
11 Posts
When hunger strikes, the puppy will bite! Trust me. Hunger will eventually get to your dog. My adopted puppy will not eat his Science Diet (now I understand why) so I switched him to Orijen. He liked the Orijen at first but then wanted to eat the canned food the vet perscribed him instead. I didn't have any so I just continued placing his bowl on the floor three times a day. Nothing happen for the first day, the next day for breakfast he was licking the bowl clean.

Your dog has been spoiled for a long time so he will probably hold off for a while longer than mine. I doubt the dog will die from hunger when kibble is being placed in front of him ever 6-8 hours everyday.

·
Registered
322 Posts
You can try grating Natural Balance rolls over his kibble to induce him to eat.

But, yeah, as long as he's not in danger, he'll eat when he's hungry. If you don't nip this in the bud now, so to speak, he's going to be demanding better food forever! (I know I would if I were given the choice between kibble and people food ;))

1 - 4 of 4 Posts