Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Things seem to be cooling down (a little) between Mitsy (the older BT) and 11-week-old Simon. There is still plenty of staring, barking, and snapping, but not as much aggression as we were seeing at first.

Mitsy is obviously trying to dominate the puppy. She pins, gets on top of him, etc. But Simon is fighting back - he snaps right back at her, barks at her, and even attempts to jump at her on occasion.

We'd like to have a household with two dogs who aren't always going to be duking it out. Do they just need more time to work it out? What happens if both dogs decide they're the alpha??

Thanks!

·
Registered
12 Posts
We'd like to have a household with two dogs who aren't always going to be duking it out. Do they just need more time to work it out? What happens if both dogs decide they're the alpha??

Thanks!
niether one should be the alpha.
you guys need to step up to the plate and BE the alpha - in charge of the dogs and their behavior. when they begin to show signs of duking it out, then step in and let them know that YOU are in charge and their behavior is simply not allowed. become proactive, instead of an observer.

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
An 11 week old puppy should be protected from the adult dog. As well as the adult being protected from too much puppy energy. I wouldn't just leave them together until they're showing more signs of getting along. I don't know the history of your situation but I would intervene if I were you by keeping them from being able to physically interact unless you're right there and can protect them.

I wouldn't worry about alpha at this time. Just try to give each of them plenty of attention and keep them fairly separate until they get used to sharing a home with each other.

·
Registered
12,761 Posts
Unless your dogs are intact and competing for mating privileges, you and your dogs don't need to worry about who is Alpha at all.

All you need to worry about is extinguishing inappropriate behavior and reinforcing appropriate behavior. The appropriateness is determined by you since you're the one concerned about it.

It would be prudent to enroll the pup in a puppy class so that he can release some of this puppy energy on other pups who are trying to do the same.

·
Registered
4,423 Posts
Are you sure you're seeing aggression or just normal dog play (which is often rough)? Dog play involves practicing all the life skills necessary for growth ....dominance/submission, take-downs, 'kills', chaser/chasee, on top then on bottom, sex. Sometimes, it gets out of hand and that's the point where you step in but, it's essential to let them learn, to learn the body language, to learn the 'rules' from other dogs.
Good dog play always almost always involves play bows and bouncy, bouncy body motions.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for all the replies.

I think we had a breakthrough last night. We let the dogs hang out (us watching, of course), and after a few minutes of scuffling, mouthing, etc., Simon (the puppy) began to lick Mitsy's mouth, which I've read is a sign of submission.

Anyway, since then, they've tussled some more, but it definitely seems like a play fighting. And Mitsy is definitely getting used to Simon...she is able to walk away now and do her own thing, instead of being so obsessed with him like she has been.

We are on the way to Dog Harmony!

·
Registered
10,534 Posts
Things seem to be cooling down (a little) between Mitsy (the older BT) and 11-week-old Simon. There is still plenty of staring, barking, and snapping, but not as much aggression as we were seeing at first.

Mitsy is obviously trying to dominate the puppy. She pins, gets on top of him, etc. But Simon is fighting back - he snaps right back at her, barks at her, and even attempts to jump at her on occasion.

Thanks!
If the younger dog isn't showing fear it probably isn't aggression, but rough play which is normal. In fact from this breif description that's EXACTLY what it sounds like. Encourage it to go outside if possible (that's what I do when Angel and Frank start getting crazy)

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
Yup could just be the older dog trying to set limits for the pup on what is acceptable behavior towards her/him.

Regardless it's your job to teach them both what's acceptable to you.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts