Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
I strongly disagree with those saying this is a dog who will have problems. I have specialized in fostering terrified and feral dogs, though I have done hundreds of normal puppies and normal dogs. First, the pup needs to be checked by a vet. Puppies are active, unless sick or in pain. Scared dogs and pups are the exact same as any dog, except they are very sensitive to body language cues. Though they may always be sensitive, they do learn to be normal dogs, IF rehabilitated correctly. Fostering them has taught me so much more I can use on all dogs. One way to reach a dog that is shut down is through massage. Massage is not petting. It is using the flats of your hands and finger tips to massage the muscles and skin. It releases Oxytocin, which is a powerful "feel good" and "bonding" hormone. Many shut down dogs will not immediately show they like the massages, but do them every day for at least 20-30 minutes. I usually wait till between 9-10 pm. Sometimes I hum as I do them and sometimes I just talk soothingly in a low soft voice. Both work to calm the dog and help them to know you care about them. I have personally witnessed dogs so traumatized everyone said to put them down. Those same dogs became my BEST DOGS! One helped me rehabilitate over 500 other dogs. She told me as clearly as if she spoke to me, if the dog was stable and could be trusted with other dogs. Another that I honestly thought might kill herself trying to get loose, is my farm greeter dog today. I defy anyone to try to figure out which of my pack this dog is. She looks like she's always had an amazing personality. I did the same things with her. I used massage, play, and training. I took her everywhere with me, even if she was afraid. I made the sessions shorter, and always gave her a break in her crate for 30 minutes when we got home. I first teach a scared dog three commands, instead of "sit" and "down". I teach "TOUCH", "WATCH ME", and "COME". These commands teach a scared dog to touch you hand for a treat, and that it's ok to touch you for comfort. "Watch me" teaches the difficult skill of making and holding eye contact. And "come" is literally a life saver. Other commands are not so proactive and are teaching more submissive behavior in the dog world.

Scared dogs and shut down dogs are the best dogs! They can interpret subtle cues and are very eager to please and to learn. They respond very well to praise. Never once has one of these traumatized dogs bitten. They give back 10 fold whatever you put into them training, massaging, and love wise. And having one makes you a much better dog person. You learn dog body language and it makes you better with all dogs.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.