Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My puppy has nightmares. He will start to cry, or yelp or whimper and I will have to go over and touch him and say his name. I'm not sure why this keeps happening. I rescued him from a box on the porch when he was six weeks old, so maybe that has something to do with it? I'd let him sleep in my bed if I thought it would help, but I read online you shouldn't do that when they are young. So, what do I do?

·
Banned
56 Posts
Nothing you can do....Just politely wake him up and let him go back to sleep. My puppy would wag her tail in her sleep!! Enjoy puppyhood. It goes by quick, but don't worry about the dreams, he will eventually stop.

·
Registered
9,385 Posts
I wasn't going to answer until I read BubbaMoose.

My dog is almost 13 yo, and I think it's funny to watch him run, snarl, yelp, and blink in his sleep. I've only seem him do the wolf snarl in his sleep, never when awake. And, he only yelps when really hurt, more than stepping on him or backing into his nose ... so I'm not sure what he's dreaming about, but it seems to be fine, b/c he's calm, gentle, well-adjusted when awake.

So, I suggest that you just let your pup sleep, unless you notice that he acts especially timid when he's awake, after one of those dreams. I'd bet that he's a normal, happy, playful puppy....

·
Registered
3,674 Posts
My dog is a noisy dreamer, and it doesn't affect his waking life in any way. My dog has these hysterical dreams we call "mean doggie, scared doggie" dreams. He alternates between sounding really mean, growling and gruffing, then makes sad whimpering whiny scared noises. It's like he's playing two parts in the dream. We laugh so hard when he does that.

·
Registered
11,270 Posts
Dreams-- good or bad -- are totally normal. Lots of dogs will run (wave their legs), whimper, growl, yip and shake in their sleep.

I would recommend getting in the habit of waking your dog by speaking to him or making a noticeable movement (like stepping on a hard floor firmly or turning on a light) near him before touching him. Like people, dogs can come out of a deep sleep without realizing what is around them. So as a person might punch or slap or yell at someone waking them, a dog might bite accidentally without even knowing what they are biting at.

·
Registered
4,470 Posts
Its normal. Some dogs grow out of it as they age others don't. Jasper use to shake, whimper, growl, run, etc in his sleep as a pup. He still does a little bit now, but not nearly as much. :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts