Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi! I adopted my puppy 6 weeks ago from a local shelter. At that time, I was told he and his litter mates were about 6 weeks old. Today I took him to the vet for his second round of shots and was told he was probably even younger since she thinks he is only about 10 weeks old now. Anyway, so he's somewhere between 10-12 weeks old.

He's obviously just a pup... and he is a very active one. He has boundless energy... except of course when he's napping! I'm trying to leash train him by working with him in the yard so he'll be ready for walks when he has his final set of shots in 4 weeks. I really think he could use a nice, draining walk.

The problem I'm having is that every time we "walk" together in the backyard he'll end up rolling on his stomach and biting the leash and then rolling around. If he's decided he's done walking after 1 minute, then he's done.

I reward him with treats every few feet that he walks for me without rolling over and biting the leash. I've also soaked the leash in vinegar. It's a nylon leash. I don't think a chain one would help because his favorite part to mouth is the metal clasp, though he likes to bite it all. And pulling on the leash while he's laying down does not motivate him to get up. I've also left the leash on him when we aren't walking to get him used to the leash.

Anyone have any helpful tips to get this little guy moving in my direction?

·
Registered
2,837 Posts
Hi! I adopted my puppy 6 weeks ago from a local shelter. At that time, I was told he and his litter mates were about 6 weeks old. Today I took him to the vet for his second round of shots and was told he was probably even younger since she thinks he is only about 10 weeks old now. Anyway, so he's somewhere between 10-12 weeks old.

He's obviously just a pup... and he is a very active one. He has boundless energy... except of course when he's napping! I'm trying to leash train him by working with him in the yard so he'll be ready for walks when he has his final set of shots in 4 weeks. I really think he could use a nice, draining walk.

The problem I'm having is that every time we "walk" together in the backyard he'll end up rolling on his stomach and biting the leash and then rolling around. If he's decided he's done walking after 1 minute, then he's done.

I reward him with treats every few feet that he walks for me without rolling over and biting the leash. I've also soaked the leash in vinegar. It's a nylon leash. I don't think a chain one would help because his favorite part to mouth is the metal clasp, though he likes to bite it all. And pulling on the leash while he's laying down does not motivate him to get up. I've also left the leash on him when we aren't walking to get him used to the leash.

Anyone have any helpful tips to get this little guy moving in my direction?
He's pretty young, so I wouldn't think teaching leash manners would be the highest priority at the moment so much as just getting him used to it. I'd leave the leash on him and let him play in the yard or even let him drag it around the house so it will become less distracting to him, but I wouldn't stress too much about him trying to play with it...at his age, that's pretty normal. I would praise and treat any time he's nice and calm with the leash.

Most vets and breeders will not recommend leash walks as a primary form of exercise for puppies under 1 year of age. Play in a fenced in area is usually a lot easier on growing bones and joints since the puppy can rest as needed and is more in control of how much they exert themselves. Tug, balls, and other toys like a flirt pole are great for wearing them out, as is training basic obedience and food puzzles.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Okay, well I guess I'll just continue giving him opportunities to get used to the leash. I do leave it on him often when he's being watched so he gets a chance to get used to it. I've never heard that walking wasn't recommended, only that it was recommended on soft surfaces. I've noticed other forms of exercise seem to increase his nipping. Walking away or yelping doesn't help much since loves the noise and will gladly bite the ankles of anyone walking away. I wish there was a way to let him get his energy out without him getting overly excited.

I also was hoping to get him used to the leash so that we could go for walks and he would have the opportunity to see other dogs. Not interact, but just see them, walk on the other side past them. I've noticed he seems really scared around dogs and I'd like to work on his socialization... but that's another post entirely!

Thanks!

·
Registered
24 Posts
If I were you I would start with a drag leash. Get some bitter apple spray and spray it on an old or cheap leash and let the puppy drag it around the house for a few minutes at a time. He will eventually learn to ignore it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts