Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2,456 Posts
That being said, my 2 year-old 90lb Rottie had an attack of the zoomies this afternoon and went galloping around the yard with a 2x4 in his mouth so don't expect zoomies to totally go away.
Lol! I got a mental image there and it's adorable :)

To the OP - I have the same questions as gingerkid. You did state she is a puppy so she will likely grow out of it to some extent. I would suggest taking her out on leash or long line. If she's doing well start giving her more line. If she starts getting crazy shorten the line so she can't go nuts. Then reward (something very high value) when she is calm or is just sniffing around.

·
Registered
2,456 Posts
She could be so used to doing it now that she's learned that going outside = zoomies and crazy energy. I would try the long lead method so she learns that going in the yard doesn't always mean she gets to run around like mad.

My dogs got it into their heads that after returning from our morning walks they could run around in the yard and get the zoomies. I don't know why they started this, but they would be perfectly calm and well behaved on our walk and as soon as I would get back to the yard and take their leashes off they would bolt and start running around like crazy and wrestling. I eventually started putting one of them directly in the house and letting the other into the yard to go potty, then switching. They were okay on their own, but the two of them together was chaos.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts