Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
6,657 Posts
How old is she? When is this behavior happening during the day? Every time you take her outside? At certain times of day? What is she doing just before you take her out? How much physical exercise and mental stimulation does she get?

There are a bunch of things that can cause this behavior, but they all relate to the dog being unable to mediate her emotional state - think toddler screaming when something super exciting happens (or otherwise over-reacting to something). In polite adult society, screaming is not generally an appropriate response, but a toddler 1) hasn't learned how to behave in polite society yet, and 2) hasn't yet developed the mental/emotional skills to keep himself under control. Same thing with this behavior in a lot of puppies - the puppy just hasn't learned how to regulate it's emotional state yet. That will come with maturity, and some training from you (mostly impulse control games and rewarding calm behaviors).

I do NOT recommend chasing or trying to grab her physically, mainly because it may become a game to her which could cause a variety of problems down the road. I know it kind of defeats the purpose of having a fenced yard, but for potty breaks at least, I would take her out on a leash or long line and be booooooring. As best as you can, just stand there and wait for her to do her business. When she goes into a "freak out", will she redirect onto a toy - a tugtoy or a ball, etc.?

1 - 1 of 1 Posts