Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What do people do or recommend when a puppy is in full 'freak-out' mode? When I take my puppy into the yard, she'll have a span of time where she is tearing around the yard, play biting anything on me she can reach (today she drew blood on my shin and my face when I bent over to grab her), and hanging/tearing my clothes. During this time of 'freak-out' she doesn't listen to a word - no sit, down, etc., - even if I offer up treats.

I've tried waiting her out, but she just waits with me until I move then she's back to freak out. I've tried grabbing her and holding her until she relaxes, but that's not always possible as she's quick. I've tried ignoring and turning my back on her but she just bites the back of my shorts. Do people have a plan for when this happens? Should I grab her and put her in her crate? Should I just leave her and let her run around until she's more subdued? Is this just typical puppy and in a month or two I can plan on a less energetic and more mindful pup? Thoughts?

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
She is 18 weeks. We have a fenced in yard so we usually bring her out and let her run (not a huge yard, but big enough for a 20 lbs puppy).

We train her about 10 -20 minutes every time we feed her, including before we go out into the yard. We also walk her every morning for 30 minutes and usually in the evening too. She just got

She's a border/aussie mix so she's high energy to begin with, but her biting and jumping is getting out of hand.

I try the toy route, but really she's a velcro dog and wants to be jumping/biting/licking me.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts