Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My parents have a 3 and a half year old female Whippet cross (Daisy); we've just got a 15 week old male Border Collie Cross (Beck).

My parents live a 2 hour drive away; we go and stay there about once a month.

Do you have any advice on how to get the two dogs together? Dogs Trust suggested that they meet somewhere neutral, in the park, both on leads, which is fine....but then what?! My parents are prepared to drive the two hours up here for a chance meeting in the park and then drive home again (stars!) but if Daisy and Beck get on well, would it be a good idea (or a terrible idea!) for them both to come back here to our house? Or is it better to have a brief, neutral meeting, and leave it at that for that day?

When they meet at a house, would it be better for it to be at the dog's house, or the puppy's house?

Thank you very much for any help you can give!

Bird

·
Registered
11,332 Posts
Is the Whippet generally fine with other dogs? Is she well socialized and has met plenty of other dogs without problems?

I agree on the neutral meeting place and a good walk for both (first walk separate so they aren't too hyper from a car ride, then walk near each other and then walk next to each other and let them sniff nose-to-butt first). But if both dogs get along fine, I see no issue with them going back to the same house for the day or a weekend visit. Obviously they should be supervised together at all times.

I suggest that whatever house you go to is "guest proofed" first. Meaning, put away any high value toys or treats and any object that is a favorite of the resident dog. This way no one gets snippy over a chewy or toy. Have a crate or pen available for the puppy in case he gets too pushy or overwhelming since puppies can be annoying to adult dogs. Serve food to the dogs separately (two different rooms or both crated separate). I like to leave a comfortable (safe) harness on both dogs, particularly the "new" dog, so that if they get rough or rowdy, I can more easily tug one away and lead to a quiet room. It isn't safe to reach for the collar of a roughhousing dog.

Unless Daisy is territorial or a resource guarder, I don't see any reason either house isn't fine.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts