Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

Puppy may have eaten Previcox

3K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  happyd11 
#1 ·
My crazy puppy some how got a hold of the prescription bottle of Previcox for another dog in the house. Last I knew it was in the kitchen on the bread board. She managed to get the child proof top off it. So far there are 6 - 57 mg pills not accounted for. The puppy weighs a little over 11 lb.

I'm trying to decide if I should bring her to an emergency vet or not.

Guess I'll call and see what they say, but just wondered if anyone here had any thoughts. She seems fine and its possible that the other 6 pills are around and haven't been found, of course she may have eaten them. We found most of the pills in the tv room near the desk and one a few feet away near the bedroom door.

TIA

#2 ·
In the time it takes to register on an Internet forum and compose that post, I would have been on the phone with the vet.

This forum is a wonderful resource but, in situations like this one, it is literally a waste of time.

I hope you dog is okay.

#3 ·
I took the puppy in, they induced vomiting, administered charcoal, took a blood test, which they say is good and are recommending she be on an IV for at least 48 hours and will monitor her blood levels with blood tests at 24 and 48 hr. intervals from the first.

Its still uncertain if she ate the medicine, but since I'm not sure where the rest is, they're assuming she did. She seemed fine that's why I posted here and then called the vet. If I knew she had ingested the medicine or was showing any changes in behavior or health I'd have called the vet immediately.

#5 · (Edited)
Thanks for the good suggestion. I hadn't read it yet but had taken a nap and just found 8 pills under the sheets at the foot of the bed. So I'm glad that she apparently ingested less than I thought. But the vet did tell me last night that even if she had one it would be considered a toxic dose.

She's was doing well this a.m. and I expect she still is. The vet said they'd call this evening with an update.

The emergency hospital seemed to want me to keep her with them vs. move her to our vet. I'm glad I moved her though b/c although she'd receive good care at both places, its going to save me a bundle - probably $1k since the ER vet is $500/day hospitalization our local is $35. Of course there will be other costs. And I don't know if anyone will take my puppy home or not, though the vet did mention that its not unusual for someone to take a small animal home with them. I miss the little stinker already - she's a cuddler and is often in my lap or at my side.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.