Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
he dosn't mind his crate, he goes in there on his own occasionally. but there is this one table outside that he will whimper and bark to go lay under it. because he is 8 weeks old, all he really does lately is sleep. Is this unhealthy liking this table more than his crate? does he just not like being around us?

I have one more thing to ask. why does he hold in his pee and only pee on the carpet.

·
Registered
8 Posts
If he is only 8 weeks old you must not have him for long, so maybe he has not learned yet that the crate is his safe space. I am sure that there are plenty of information here on crate training - maybe you just need to train him more (treats in the crate, fed him in the crate, etc)? Is the crate in a quiet spot, is it close or far from you? Does he go outside alone? Maybe the spot outside is similar to something he was use to. If you just got him, maybe you also just need to spend some more time together to bond. RE the pee, it sounds like he associates the carpet with the pee spot. Have you cleaned up with those specific spray that remove the smell of doggie pee? Otherwise he may be tempted to keep using this spot as a bathroom, because to him it smells like it. He is not doing it on purpose. Just try to be consistent with toilet training, take him to the pee spot (possibly the same spot, ideally a quiet spot - I found that my puppy would get distracted or spooked sometimes) after a drink, play, and every 2 hours and tell him to go potty or whatever you want to use as command, don't play or give him attention until he pees/poo and when he does praise him a LOT! And repeat repeat. These are my 2 cents as another puppy owner! Good luck

·
Registered
24 Posts
Try covering his crate with a blanket or something like that. It will make it more like a shelter. When my lab was a puppy he loved to spent his time in hidden places. Once he got older he stopped :)

·
Registered
255 Posts
One of my current Rottie girls used to "den up" under my desk and in the empty bottom shelf of a bookcase when small. It was cuter than all get out - a photo of her in the bookshelf was featured in my local breed club's newsletter. She stopped doing that when she got too big to fit.

As to puppy peeing inside, in addition to cleaning any accident spots really thoroughly with odor-neutralizing cleaners such as Nature's Miracle, keep in mind the downside to rushing a puppy outside, giving it a chance to pee and taking it back inside right away. Puppy may not be empty or may have been too interested in the outdoors to think about peeing in those few minutes. Better to stay outside with a puppy a little while and walk around a bit with him so he goes at least once and has opportunity to go more than once if needed.

I've had dogs learn that when outside if they pee'd immediately, they'd get taken back inside right away. Since they didn't want that, they'd hold it as long as they could. Those were adult dogs restricted to potty walks post-surgery, but I bet a puppy might learn the same if it's just outside, pee, inside with no chance to enjoy the outdoors a bit.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts