Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
I actually have some frontline but I think I've gotten all the fleas, I haven't noticed any for the past two days. As for pup she is doing wonderful, thanks for asking! She eats about two spoonfuls of baby food mixed with formula and water every three hours, and I'm still doing the nutrical. She pees all the time, poops twice a day usually, and is very active. She goes through one jar of baby food in a day, so crazy considering that first day I couldn't get her to take anything!

I haven't been able to take her to the vet yet but I have an appointment for Friday and did have her quickly looked at by a tech at Banfield in Petsmart, he said her gums look great, she's not dehydrated, and as long as I keep feeding every 3-4 hours she should be fine. The only thing that worries me is she's still aggressive with trying to nurse, whenever she first wakes up and is hungry she'll try over and over again to get to my ear lobe so she can suck it. It makes me feel like she's hungry or thirsty but I know that can't be the case. I'm hoping it's just her instinct to nurse and not because she's lacking nutrition. Thanks to everyone who answered, you all saved this puppy's life.

·
Registered
20,765 Posts
Have you tried her on a bottle at all (since she started getting an appetite)? Sometimes I'll give baby kittnes a bottle even if they're already eating on their own, I think it's important for their emotional growth. And can prevent a kitty from growing up to be an earlobe sucker (which annoys me). I'm not sure puppies are the same in that regard but it wouldn't hurt.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
I hadn't thought about trying the bottle again because she had such a fuss with it but you're right she might take it since she's doing so good with eating. The only one I have is that one they sell at petsmart, the little one with several nipples and to me the nipple seems too long and thin. Would the vet have a better one? I will try that as soon as she wakes up from her nap, thank you.

·
Registered
20,765 Posts
I just bought the bottles at Wal-Mart. They have "normal" looking nipples. Your vet might have some too. But the long-nippled ones would probably work, too--that's why they sell them! Larger puppies can just use a baby bottle but a Chi would probably use the same kind as a kitten.

·
Registered
3,722 Posts
On their website they say 8 weeks: http://www.frontline.com/prd.asp

I'm sure it probably is safe in the correct dosage---my vet told me I could put a drop of Advantage or Revolution on 3-4 week old kittens without ill effects, even though their instructions say 7-8 weeks---but I would be reluctant to do so without a vet's guidance.
Strange, I read the pamphlet that came with mine and it says from 2 weeks. This isn't the spot on though, it's the spray that you wet the whole body with.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Call vets and rescues in your area. Explain the situation and ask if they might be able to help you find a lactating bitch that might accept your little sweetie. I'm a rescuer and in our experience, most momma dogs will take in an orphan(s). The first time I found myself with four 4 day old orphans, a vet tech hooked me up with another rescue who had brought in a mom and new litter. It was hugely successful as mom accepted them.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
:) Puppy is doing so great! She is 4 weeks now and has many teeth coming through, she loves to fight with my fingers and growl at me. Still can't get her to take anything other than the baby food mix but she seems to be gaining weight. Finally going to see the vet today at 3, I think it's safe to say we made it! Yay!

·
Registered
13,075 Posts
:) Puppy is doing so great! She is 4 weeks now and has many teeth coming through, she loves to fight with my fingers and growl at me. Still can't get her to take anything other than the baby food mix but she seems to be gaining weight. Finally going to see the vet today at 3, I think it's safe to say we made it! Yay!
Yay!!! I am so happy for you and your new found little bundle of joy! :) Keep us updated on the vet visit ... and more pics please ... if you can find time. :)

·
Registered
751 Posts

Such great news!

21 - 29 of 29 Posts