Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello, I went to my mother in laws house today and she showed me a new puppy, only 3 weeks old and the mother was hit by a car last night. The puppy is chihuahua and she asked me if I could care for her because she doesn't have the time. My son passed away in January and I think she hopes this will be good for me. The puppy is so adorable but I'm afraid I don't have the right tools to care for her. I know she should be on mom's milk until 8 weeks or so, and that chihuahuas have a problem with low blood sugar. How can I help her with that? I got her the formula from pet smart but she wouldn't touch it, so I went back and got the science diet ground puppy food. I mashed it up with warm water and she lapped up a spoon full of the liquid. I put a warm cotton ball to her privates and she peed but no poop so far. I know to keep her warm, another problem is she has so many fleas. I'm afraid to bathe her because she might get cold, but I know the fleas can't be good for her. I can take her to the vet this coming Friday, my husband is a mechanic and that is payday. I'm hoping someone here can tell me how to care for her until then, I'm willing to put the time in just want to make sure I'm doing it right. Is it okay for her to be eating the puppy food/water mixture? What should I do about her blood sugar? Thank you.

·
Registered
20,765 Posts
Feed her often to keep her blood sugar up. If she'll eat solids, give her canned food mixed with puppy formula (or goat's milk), and offer it to her about once every 3-4 hours. If she won't eat on her own you'll need to feed her with a bottle or large plastic eyedropper (carefully so it doesn't get in her lungs). Get a flea comb and a cup of water with a few drops of dish soap in it, comb the fleas out and drown them. You can bathe her with Dawn dish soap as long as you keep her warm enough throughout, but I'd recommend combing first. You definitely need to get rid of the fleas fast because they can kill baby puppies.

You can call your vet for advice. Calling is free :). Taking care of a baby puppy is a lot like taking care of a newborn human.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you, she does seem to want to eat on her own. I will do the flea comb now, there are so many fleas I'm glad you told me that.

·
Registered
88 Posts
dawn dish soap works the best at killing flea, i have had to do it to a few kittens over the years. Hope you can get all the flea as it cant be to healthy to have fleas on her. if you bath her maybe use one towel to dry her n then get a dry towel to wrap her in after getting rid of most of the fleas n hold her close to you so the towel and your body temp keep her nice and warm.

good luck with her.

·
Registered
6,437 Posts
Do you have access to goats milk? If so I would try mixing baby food with that instead of the science diet stuff. Puppies this age should be on mothers milk (or a substitute) and can start the weaning process with puppy mush (mine is usually baby food, baby rice and esbilac milk mixed up). Puppies don't need to be on mother's milk till 8 weeks old, most of ours are fully weaned by 5-6 weeks. Right now at this age it should be mainly milk and a little of the mush, and the mush should increase in the coming weeks, till the pup is fully weaned on mush and start transitioning to more solid foods, once the pup has teeth the puppy can be on soaked food.

I would keep a sugar source in your house, I believe karo syrup is the most common used one but will have to check that. Also maybe look into nutrical for extra calories, which can also be used for this purpose. Chis are prone to hypoglycemia.

As for the fleas, those suckers need to get off that pup and fast. I agree with dawn dish soap, just make sure the pup doesn't get too chilled.

·
Registered
6,415 Posts
Feed every 2-3 hrs. You can use a washcloth wet with warm water to stroke it's rear end to stimulate him to poop/pee.
Definitely get the fleas off. Do the dawn dish soap and warm water. kitchen sink sprayer works well. Dry thoroughly. You can use a hairdryer on a low heat setting to help. Just keep the hairdryer moving to make absolutely sure it won't get too hot.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank you all for your help, I did the dawn suggestion and got out as many fleas as I could, there's no chance I could put a drop of flea medicine on there is there? She seems to be in good spirits and healthy so far but I'm having trouble getting her to eat, she just doesn't seem interested. I got her some baby food and she likes it before I mix anything in it, but won't touch it after it's mixed with the formula. Also she hasn't peed or pooped since yesterday, I am stimulating her with the warm cloth but nothing... I'm afraid she is dehydrated because I'm having so much trouble getting liquids into her. I'm up with her every 2-3 hours and she takes a few licks here and there but I don't think that's enough. My next stop is to get her some goats milk and nutrical today, hope I can get her interested in something.

·
Registered
20,765 Posts
No flea meds at her age. CapStar may be an option (I forget the minimum age it says but I think it's 3-5 weeks) but no spot-ons, sprays, or powders. Just keep combing and bathing as needed.

If she'll eat the baby food without formula, let her. She needs to eat something. Will she eat it with extra water added? Might be a good way to get more fluids in her. Get some Pedialyte, too (or Google "oral rehydration therapy" and make up some solution), and give her a dropper full every few hours. The goat's milk and nutrical are a good idea, too :).

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
Hairdryers will warm and dry fast, but a word of caution, keep your hand on the pup the whole time, to be certain she doesn't get overheated, as young pups can get hyperthermia and hypothermia very fast. I thought there was a safe spray you could rub on your hands and.rub onto the pup, but its been years since we have had fleas and I can't remember the name. I did get it at the vet clinic though. Good advice on here, best of luck with the little one. At three weeks I begin Introducing softened puppy food, she should be ok. Talk to the vet about early vaccination. Be very careful to keep her away from any chance of parvo and.distemper. wash you hands and shoes with disinfectant spray or soap.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks again, it's been so up and down all day one minute I think she's doing okay then the next I worry she's not eating/drinking enough. She's peed four times today, pooped twice, but I'm having trouble getting a good amount of liquid in her. She'll take a little bit of baby food (maybe 1/2 tsp at a time), a little bit of the nutrical, but I can only manage a few drops of the formula. She spit the goats milk out twice so I dropped it for now, I've tried every kind of combo with the baby food/formula/goats milk I can think of but she's so picky, she refuses to eat anything but I know she's hungry because she tries to suck my ear lobe all the time. I have been getting at least some form of fluid and food into her about every 2-3 hours, and doing the nutrical. She does seem very playful and active when she's awake, and strong she can climb all over the place. I just wish I could get more fluids into her but I'm afraid of choking her.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
She ate a decent amount around 5 AM, formula and baby food and a little bit of nutrical. She's being very whiny but I hope that's normal since she just lost her mom, she seems to calm down when I rub her. I hope we can make it through this, she's already taken my heart!

Attachments

·
Registered
13,075 Posts
She ate a decent amount around 5 AM, formula and baby food and a little bit of nutrical. She's being very whiny but I hope that's normal since she just lost her mom, she seems to calm down when I rub her. I hope we can make it through this, she's already taken my heart!
What an adorable girl! I wish you the best of luck with her!
A year ago I saved a 4 week old pup from death ... he is now a little over a year old and almost 80 pounds .... there is hope! :)

·
Registered
34 Posts
you could mix kayro syrup with the milk just a little. this seem to help the puppies i raised. I know you probably already have ,but look up hand raising a puppy. Some of the sites are helpful and tell you different bottle and stuff that help them. good luck :)

·
Registered
6,437 Posts
Has the pup seen a vet yet for a check up? You probably should take her in just to check that everything is alright.

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
When I took in a litter of orphaned kittens last summer, I brought the smallest one into the vet office and just asked the girls at the desk for advice. They had their resident kitten raiser take a look at him and told me everything I needed to know about raising them and only charged me for the milk formula. So I know you said you can't afford to bring the pup to the vet until Friday but it may be worth stopping in and explaining the situation.

For the fleas on the kittens I took in I tried combing them out but that was pretty difficult. So I bathed the kittens with a little dawn dish soap and picked the fleas of as I went. The fleas don't move so much then but you need to be quick so the puppy doesn't get cold. I then rubbed the kittens with a towel and used a blow dryer set on warm and low to dry them. I battled the fleas for at least a week so it took a couple baths.

·
Registered
20,765 Posts
Frontline is safe to use from 2 weeks.
On their website they say 8 weeks: http://www.frontline.com/prd.asp

I'm sure it probably is safe in the correct dosage---my vet told me I could put a drop of Advantage or Revolution on 3-4 week old kittens without ill effects, even though their instructions say 7-8 weeks---but I would be reluctant to do so without a vet's guidance.

·
Registered
13,075 Posts
How are things going with the pup?

1 - 20 of 29 Posts