Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good morning...I was wondering if anyone knows what this is..my 6 month old puppy is losing her hair in patches..I've had her a little over 2 months..I've know only one thing.. it's not her food..she was on puppy chow when I got her and is still on it..she has been given flee drops from the vet and a flee pill twice..i don't know if it's a reaction to that..it's not from scratching due to flees because she has none but she is always corn cobbing the spots or licking..all the white spots are missing hair..she also has it behind one of her ears..no sores or open skin just missing hair and maybe dry skin..have a vet appt but not til later in the week..could this be mange and if so how do you treat it..thanks in advance for your help 20151006_083136.jpg 20151006_083005.jpg

·
Registered
11,237 Posts
Looks a whole lot like demodetic mange and it is more common in puppies around her age than in adult dogs. But it could be something else like flea allergies (even one flea bite will get allergic dog scratching, the dog doesn't actually have to have fleas visible on them) or ringworm etc. So definitely keep the vet appointment and you probably want to ask for a skin scraping to diagnose her.

·
Registered
2,911 Posts
Just because she's on the same food she was on when you got her does not mean that this isn't a food allergy (although I don't think it is, it's a possibility).

Won't lie to you, Puppy Chow is a pretty low quality dog food and has a lot of ingredients known to cause allergic reactions in dogs. Any reason you haven't transitioned to a better food? Many shelters feed Puppy Chow because it's cheap, but there are much better foods you could be feeding. While a better food won't cure her if this is mange, it may result in an overall healthier coat and an overall healthier life.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I didn't change her food because that's what she was on when I got her..so how does a dog get mange, what causes it, and how is it treated? I'm guessing it's treated with a pill because anything topical they will lick off. I though it might be dry skin so I bathed her in aloe shampoo but it just keeps getting worse..so I called the vet.

·
Registered
2,911 Posts
I didn't change her food because that's what she was on when I got her..so how does a dog get mange, what causes it, and how is it treated? I'm guessing it's treated with a pill because anything topical they will lick off. I though it might be dry skin so I bathed her in aloe shampoo but it just keeps getting worse..so I called the vet.
Yup, a vet visit will be necessary. As for treatment, it depends on the type of mange you're dealing with. Treatments include oral, topical or injections as well as shampoo or dip.

Until your vet narrows down the type of mange (there are two, demodectic and sarcoptic), you should isolate your dog from other animals. While I agree with Shell that this is most likely demodectic mange, sarcoptic mange can be spread to other dogs as well as humans. Make sure to wash your hands thoroughly after petting or handling her and wash her blankets/bedding/whatever she uses routinely.

Also, at the risk of harping on the food issue, either switching foods or feeding supplements with Omega-3 and Omega-6 fatty acids will most likely help improve your dog's coat and skin health. Feeding Puppy Chow to a puppy is like feeding McDonald's to a baby every day. Little to no real nutrition and chock full of a ton of unnecessary fillers. Since your puppy is having coat problems, a diet that helps support healthy skin and coat is really essential to her recovery.

·
Registered
11,237 Posts
I am not a vet, but I fostered two different puppies with demodetic mange so I learned a bit about it along the way. First thing is that (presuming it is demodetic mange) it isn't contagious to humans or healthy adult dogs.

All dogs have the mites that cause demodetic mange (not the same as sarcoptic mange, which is contagious to humans) but sometimes puppies and adult dogs with low immune systems can't keep the mites under control.

The usual treatment is oral liquid ivermectin along with bathing in a dog-specific skin cleaning shampoo such as a benzoyl peroxide shampoo from the vet's. If you think there is any chance your dog is a herding breed mix or some sighthound breeds that could be MDR1 affected (information here) then it would be highly advisable IMO to have the genetics test done before giving the large doses of ivermectin that are generally used for mange because dogs with that gene mutation are very very sensitive to certain drugs.

Because it is an immune system issue, good nutrition is important. Low stress is also important, this usually isn't a big issue for dogs in homes but it seems to make it tough for puppies in shelters to fight off mange and they seem to recover faster once in foster or adoptive homes.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you..I appreciate the advice..I will look into changing her food..so far there are no signs of anyone in the house having any symptoms of what she has..she is with me most of the time and sits with me constantly and I am not itching at all but I will keep an eye out for it..I did get ring worm from a cat years ago..we are going to get a dna test on her that also tests for that gene/mutation as we were told she was full pit but are not sure..not because we are afraid of pits, we actually prefer pits, but just to be sure of what she is..possibly boxer mix..also for possible health problems..problem is I dont think I can wait for the dna test to come back to get her treated.. she is a very happy puppy with a lot of energy who loves people..gets a little jealous when anyone hugs me though..she's just an all around great dog..hopefully the vet can tell me what's going on..thanks again

·
Registered
11,237 Posts
Just FYI, the DNA tests for breed are petty much unreliable and really only something to do for fun if you have a little extra money.

The test for the MDR1 gene mutation is a separate test through a university vet program and doesn't say anything about breed. If she's a pit/bully breed, her risk for that is very low.

I have noticed that the blue pit bulls seem to have particularly sensitive skin in general, for stuff like flea allergies or sensitivities to laundry detergent etc.

There is a thread that just popped up today discussing using Bravecto for treating generalized demodetic mange, I would think it worth asking your vet about.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts