Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 6 1/2 month old chocolate lab and we are having problems training her to walk on leash. We live in the city and as soon as she exits our building, she looks around and sits, intently surveying her surroundings. She will not respond to my distractions (voice/treats). After a couple of minutes or so I can get her attention and she will take a few steps but she begins sniffing around and then sitting again, especially at corners. Our biggest problem is when she sees another dog from afar. She sits down and watches it. Nothing can distract her. As the dog gets closer, she lunges to play. I can correct the lunge but cannot get her to stop sitting every time she sees another dog or hears a new noise.

We tried a flat collar, a harness and a nylon choke collar (not a well-made one). We have tried to distract her with treats but it can't compete with these other distractions. Otherwise she is a sweet heart. I have researched the Volhard collar and read the Monks of New Skete books but not sure what my next step should be.

·
Banned
52 Posts
oh it works for my reactive terrier trust me it give you the ability to steer which means move your dog easily maybe you should try it

·
Registered
165 Posts
In my opinion, the answer is simple: just walk.

There's not much to be gained by allowing the behaviour to continue, or distraction through treats. I would suggest a safe martingale collar (http://www.bradpattison.com/catalog/hustle-up™-collars-sale) and umbilical training (wearing the leash around your hips instead of just holding it in your hand). This way, you can encourage her to move forward with you, and if she plops down: well, you just keep on moving.

Obviously you have to be respectful of her boundaries, and never push her further than she can take. But be realistic: a walk is a basic expectation, and a world of adventure and stimulation is waiting for her. Just keep on moving.

If she lunges to play with another dog, you can allow her the chance to stop, snif and say hi...then be on your way!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts