Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 6 month old cocker spaniel/chihuahua mix named Osha... She's full of energy, loves everyone and is very smart! We've been training her from the minute we got her (at 4 months)-- she knows many commands and responds well. We've been socializing her like crazy, too. I've taken her on the bus with me plenty of times and she's an angel! I take her into any stores that allow dogs. She's totally calm on busy sidewalks filled with strangers, other dogs, etc... And she's friendly (if a little on the submissive side) at the off leash dog park.

So here's the problem: I walk her in the park next to my house everyday. It's a pretty quiet park; we rarely pass by anyone... But whenever we do pass by one person she gets all bent out of shape, barks, growls and lunges toward them. It's really odd-- she's completely fine around a lot of people, but when just one person is approaching us she gets very frantic.

I know she's not aggressive. She won't bite anyone. She just seems like she doesn't know what to do with herself in that situation. I've tried completely ignoring her behavior to keep moving, I've tried stopping and having her sit to get her to calm down. I'd love some advice, because other than this she's an amazing little dog. I hate for people to see her lunging and barking like that, and then think she must be aggressive.

·
Registered
6,227 Posts
Dogs are definitely weird sometimes. Since you are quite sure she's going to be a stinker if one person is approaching start working with her before she reacts, possibly as soon as you see a person walking alone. Move in an arc around and away from the person, use a bush or car as a hide or turn around and go the other way. Bucky can sit and behave for a treat if a person is at least 6' away. Once she has started reacting it's a temper tantrum or hysterical reaction and takes time to come out of. I do stop and wait for Bucky to calm down then do a couple short down stays with treats between to settle him. He seems to do well with that.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts