Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Me and my family have recently got a French Bulldog/Pug cross puppy, we got him at 5 weeks as his mum was no longer able to look after her litter. Due to him coming home earlier than preferred, we have noticed online that he has missed out on the bite inhibition his mum would have provided him with. He had been biting our trousers and shoes excessively but we solved this problem by stopping our affection for around 20 seconds and ignoring him, and then returning to the room with him as if it never happened. We also have taught Winston to sit and a down command which stops him jumping up our legs and trying to chew our shoes, so far he is almost perfect with these commands. However, recently we had to move the room he stays in as we were struggling with the nibbling, which he has now stopped. Ever since we moved him, he has been constantly ripping up his pee pads and were puling our hair out because we feel like we've tried everything to try to stop this. We cannot move him back into the other room because it doesn't fit in with the flow of the house, but we just cannot get him to stop! We have tried teaching him a leave command, which he will not listen to at all, we've also tried putting vinegar, lemon juice and dog behave spray on the corners of the pads which is how he pulls them up. We tried distracting him with toys and treats but nothing is working! We would like to train him to toilet in the garden but he will not walk on his lead properly either, he just bites the lead and finds it a very fun tug of war game :( we tried putting the spray that is supposed to stop them biting, on the lead but it didn't bother him. He ends up hanging from the lead because our garden is quite large, meaning we can't let him off his lead otherwise we'll never get him back! We tried a leave command which failed miserably and also tried a metal lead like suggested but it hasn't changed a thing. This is our first puppy and have always said If we had any problems, we would just call a trainer to help us so that he doesn't make a habit of these things as they're harder to break as he turns into an adult dog. Due to all of the coronavirus lockdowns, we aren't able to call a trainer to our house or take him to classes, we are just really stuck on what to do and we need some advice to restore our faith!!!!!!

·
Registered
2,800 Posts
I would remove the pee-pads entirely and just focus on teaching him to go in the yard. Have you tried putting him on a long line and just dropping it on the ground? He might find the lead fun to chew and pull because you're on the other end and he thinks you're playing! But, if the line is "dead", he might not find it as fun. Because the line is so long, you will be able to easily pick it up and reel him back in.

When you say metal, I assume you mean chain, right? Or a cable? I was almost going to suggest that, but then I see you already tried, ha!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts