Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 4 months old pomapoo/terrier just got spayed yesterday. I was told to keep the cone on for 10 days and to keep her calm/relax till the stitches are out. Well the thing is i wasn't really expecting my puppy to be so lively and energetic. She doesn't want to lay down and relax. I don't have a crate for her to sleep in, normally she sleeps wherever she pleases. I tried to leave her alone in a room but she only cries when left alone. We were given pain meds to ease the pain and it seems to be working but it doesn't make her tired. I don't know any other way to make her calm down and recover. Any advice? Also this is my first dog and spaying my dog is the first time as well. I'm not sure if her incision is swollen. I posted a picture for other's opinion. She was only spayed yesterday so maybe that looks normal? Thanks for reading this and answering my questions. http://i45.tinypic.com/10f50me.jpg

·
Registered
20,765 Posts
She can go for walks and play with her toys and stuff, just don't let her jump or wrestle or anything else that might pop the stitches, at least as much as you can control it! I think keeping her in another room is likely to make her agitated and that's more of a risk to her healing than a walk would be.

A small amount of redness and swelling is normal as the tissue heals. If it looks angry red and is oozing pus, then you should call the vet right away.

I can't see the picture so I can't make a specific comment, though :(.

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
You need to get a crate. Since your dog is so small, a crate won't be terribly expensive. You can get one that has a divider, so that it can grow with your dog. Don't let her jump up on the furniture or the bed, or even climb stairs. A couple of weeks of this PITA routine is worth it in the long run. You don't need to leave her alone in a room - dogs like to be with their people. I have a crate in my living room, and another one in my bedroom for Maddie (she's not trustworthy yet!).

You can tether the dog to you with her leash (yes, in the house), which I've done when I wanted to give a dog a break from the crate. This way, you have better control over her. Make sure she's on the leash when you take her outside to potty, and no running around outside until the sutures are removed.

There shouldn't be any real swelling, if she's kept quiet. Her sutures don't look too bad - no weeping or oozing, but a little puffy. They look nice and dry. Do your best to keep her still (I know, easier said than done!). If they start oozing, a call to the vet may be in order.

Hang in there! It won't last long.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks! Its hard keeping her under control. She jumped on the sofa once, and she's not like running but shes like fast walking. will that be a problem? Also she gets really excited when someone comes home will that bother her as well? Oh also is it fine if we carry her?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts