Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, need your help again. We got a new couch a couple of weeks ago and Josie figured out that she can jump over the back of it. This wouldn’t be bad because we allow her on the furniture if she didn’t land on us. She used to do it to us from the front of the couch but we just stopped her from landing and that kinda took care of the problem. Unfortunately with her coming from behind, we don’t know she is coming and if we stopped her she could hurt herself with the height. This has also led to her zooming around the couch and stepping on people along the way. She does it so fast that we don’t really have a chance to stop her and ignoring her doesn’t matter because she is on to the next thing. I really think she thinks that she is a cat. Also, no punishment works with her. The penny can she totally ignores, she hats water and wet grass already so I don’t want to spray her with water and strengthen that bad association, and she only listens to no when it suits her or I am walking towards her to stop her. An example is her chasing the cat or trying to sneak toys on the couch. On the third no I take the toy away. Also I walk her daily for about 30 min, long enough for her to come home and promptly take a nap. She is now 5.5 months old and about 21lb. Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
The 'zoomies' as they are affectionately called are typical in puppies. It happens, and in my experience there isn't much you can do about it.

Is there anyway you can push the couch against a wall? That would be the easiest fix. Next would be erecting some sort of barrier that she could not jump over...

Is there a specific time of day that she gets the most rambunctious? I know that with my two boys, its right before I want to go to bed. Its 11 and they are chasing each other around the house!

I'd suggest taking her for another walk during the day. Take a longer walk in the morning and then in the evening, after dinner, take another walk and/or play outside.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I wish I could do more walks with her but we don't live in the best neighborhood and I get home from work at 12:15am. She gets her morning walked around 11:30am, right after I get up. She does do it more on the weekends as I don't walk her because we are home doing stuff all day and she doesn't go into the kennell. I'm just starting to worry a bit because it's her prefered way to get on the couch now. If we are walking into the livingroom from the kitchen win her right behind me, she jumps over instead of going around. Our house is set up weird so there isn't any way to move the sectional to block her. We actualy have a custom one to maximize seeting. To be fair, there are 5 sopots on the couch where we can sit that she won't land. It's just that we end up sitting in the 2 worst ones out of habit I think.

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
It might be a pain, but my only thought (and hopefully someone else has a better suggestion for you) is to attach a check cord. When you are walking into the living room and you see her going for the back of the couch, step/grab the cord and tell her no. Hopefully after a few repetitions of this she will get the hint. It might also help if after you say 'no' you walk her up to the part of the couch she is allowed to jump on and praise/treat when she does it correctly. Always praise/treat when she has done something you would like her to repeat.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Good idea. I don't think I will be able to catch her with the cord but I will start treating her when she jumps onto the couch and doesn't land on a person or object. She loves food so that may work.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts