Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not sure what to do about such an aggressive food guarding from a puppy...

We're currently living with a friend of mine who has an adult border collie, Cruz. Toby my cattle dog pup is about 17 weeks old.. Anyways, Toby goes absolutely insane and viscous. I've never seen him like that. If Cruz goes anywhere near his Kong or even in the doorway of my room and near Toby's crate.. Toby goes savage on him.

Before he got that bad, I gave them each a treat last week, and Toby did NOT like that I gave Cruz one too.

I feel like this is my fault, as he is really allergic to beef and the people I previously lived with their dogs food was horrible supermarket brand, and beef. It made Toby so sick if he ate any of it. So we were constantly keeping him away from their dogs food, it was tough. The people I lived with didn't help out by putting his food up when he was done or anything, so it was a constant struggle. Toby used to eat his Kong in the kitchen/dining room floor area, the housemates dog would try to sneak a few pieces that went flying, but Toby never went crazy at him.. He gave him "looks" but that was it.

I just don't know what to do now with Toby's aggression over his food to other dogs. He's absolutely fine with his food and people. But not other dogs. I'm also getting a bit worried that he's possessive of me too, if I'm on the couch Toby has to come sit in front of me, if Cruz tries to come over for a pat Toby gives him a "look" and Cruz just walks away..

What can I do? :(

·
Registered
10,186 Posts
Feed him separately. In his crate or in another room with the door closed. This is not unusual behavior at all.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's what I do though. He's never been fed with the other dog. He eats in his crate, in my room, with the door shut. But if Cruz comes anywhere near the door to my room, even steps inside it, even after Toby's eaten or any other time during the day, Toby freaks out.

·
Registered
4,350 Posts
If the door is shut, how can Cruz step inside it? I agree, it's not uncommon, the thing is, Toby feels that he NEEDS to guard his kong to stop the other dog from getting it. If you scold or take away the kong, then you are just telling him he is right, because the good thing (kong) may get taken away.

I would try to come up with a plan with your housemates to make sure Cruz is distracted or in a completely different area of the house when you feed or give a treat to Toby.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I don't scold, or take the Kong away. When he goes savage at Cruz I pick Toby up and confine him back in a room away from everyone and Cruz, a timeout. And for the door, Cruz lays outside my door waiting for us to come back out, or even just lays there knowing Toby's inside even if I'm outside. If I open it slightly or was to leave my door open during the day he steps in etc.

Cruz is outside when I feed Toby. No where near Toby. Toby doesn't have to be eating or be around meal time to attack Cruz. A friend and I were discussing it today and she thinks that Toby is possibly "guarding" the room as we've just moved from a previous house to this one with new housemates and their dog, and the only thing Toby knows the same is my furniture that's in my room, aka my bed, tv unit, his crate and bed etc.

My friend was also giving her dog Misha (a big doberman), some treats today before we went to the dog park, and she gave Toby some too. And he didn't react at all, no aggression. However when I gave Toby some of the treats and then tried to give Misha some, he snapped. I think it's because it comes from me. And he's guarding me.. He's protective/obsessive over me? I'm his "person", I'm the only one who's ever fed him, taken care of him, trained him, cuddled with him etc.. Not really a good thing I guess, everyone enjoys mentioning to me that as a cattle dog he'll most likely be aggressive as that's what they're bred for with hearding, but aggressive over me..? Not good..

·
Registered
206 Posts
My friend was also giving her dog Misha (a big doberman), some treats today before we went to the dog park, and she gave Toby some too. And he didn't react at all, no aggression. However when I gave Toby some of the treats and then tried to give Misha some, he snapped. I think it's because it comes from me. And he's guarding me.. He's protective/obsessive over me? I'm his "person", I'm the only one who's ever fed him, taken care of him, trained him, cuddled with him etc.. Not really a good thing I guess, everyone enjoys mentioning to me that as a cattle dog he'll most likely be aggressive as that's what they're bred for with hearding, but aggressive over me..? Not good..
What happens if you give food to another human? If he doesn't react to this then I wouldn't worry too much. I think Toby is extremely food motivated which you could use to your advantage.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts