Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Puppy is now 8 months, want to switch from day care to lunch walker- help?

Hi

I want to switch my puppy from three days a week at day care to a dog walker at noon

When we are home together, she generally sleeps til 10 and I think an hr or a bit m ore at lunch when I get home by four is enough social time and attention when we have the whole evening together and 4 days a week as a family

She is super attached to the day care owner, and to the other dogs.... she goes beserk when we see them on the street and cries out when they walk away

So how do I transition her with minimal anxiety to a dog walker?

I was thinking I could work from home for the afternoon for a week or two and just have her alone in the morning for a few weeks- she is used to being alone the odd weekend evening for up to 5 hrs

I'm not worried about messes, she uses a piddle pad

Advice? Or ideas? Thanks in advance-

·
Registered
291 Posts
Re: Puppy is now 8 months, want to switch from day care to lunch walker- help?

Don't take her to day care on all 3 days. Drop one day and get the walker in on that day. After a couple of weeks drop another day care day and finally just have the walker.

·
Registered
717 Posts

It will be fine to switch to a walker- dont beat yourself up over it--- just give her a big marrow bone to gnaw on while she is waiting for the Walker-- your schedule sounds great!

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

Thank you both- having a puppy has brought out all my own issues- I worry endlessly about whether she is happy, entertained, secure- I wish I could lighten up, she's a dog after all!!!

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

OK, I've been a little concerned about how attached my dog is to the daycare provider and today it took an odd twist- she scooped up my dog and said, "Mummy missed you SO MUCH!" and then asked me if I wanted to trade my dog for hers. She just carried on snuggling and cuddling my dog the whole time I was there

My dog LOVES her- and clearly it is because she is the laser focus of this woman's attention and affection- and she is fab- but I think I need to get my dog out of there

Not sure she will ever be as happy at home as she is there but she is MY dog, LOL!!!

Just struck me as weird!

·
Registered
9,391 Posts

I asked my cleaning lady to watch my dog while I was on a one week business trip. When I came back, the cleaning lady said that he was so sweet... when I die, can she have the dog? (She's older than I am...)

... slowly back away from the cleaning lady, don't let her watch the dog... find another cleaning lady :)

·
Registered
1,593 Posts

well... sometimes you have to understand what its like for us in daycare too.... i manage one and i know most of the dogs better than their own owners do. you really fall in love with some of them. i have one that is a boerboel. ive worked very hard with him to make him the well behaved dog he is today (he used to be very over the top with play and never listened to other dogs language. he was on the verge of not being able to come anymore because he couldnt control himself and was causing fights.) she tells him in the morning "go see your second momma!" and he comes running into my arms. there is another one, a german shorthair pointer who im just absolutely in love with, and who loves me just as much. i often feel like he SHOULD have been my dog. we just completely love each other, and im the only person he listens to, because to him, im the only one who matters. his mom knows all about it and she appreciates that he has someone who is always watching his back and helping him through tough times (hes began doing strange things like growling at people at other dogs because of a well known trainer in the area who uses adversives) she said "youre the only person i would ever trust to leave him with if we go away" and has planned to leave him with me while she goes on her honeymoon for 2 weeks. 2 other dogs a weim and a german shepherd cant function in daycare without me. if im not there, all they do is scream and cry. when i am there, they follow me and stay at my side the whole time, and wont go to anyone else....

you see, we form bonds with these dogs. its hard for us not to fall in love with them and some more so than others. just showing what its like from my side.. thats all. though i will say, i wouldnt call me any dogs mom in front of their parents.... i often refer to the dogs though as "my baby boy!" or "my handsome man!" "my beautiful girl!" etc. and for my clients that hear me say that, it makes them all feed like THEIR dog is extremely well loved and cared for.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts