Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone dealt with their puppy/dog being allergic to their food? She threw up a lot, so the vet put her on bland food. As we transitioned back to the puppy chow, she throws up again. She didn't throw up during the bland food diet. Opinions? The puppy is Jack Russel and 14 weeks old.

·
Registered
3,053 Posts
Lots and lots of dogs are allergic to certain foods, or formula. Puppy Chow isn't a very great food... you can go back to what the vet put her on since she seemed to be fine on it, or look for a better quality kibble. Try different limited ingredient foods. Are you positive it's an allergy, or maybe it's because she's not used to the new food.

·
Registered
5,406 Posts
I'm assuming 'puppy chow' means Purnia?
If so, it's not a good food. Switch to something better. Take a look at dogfoodadvisor.com

·
Registered
9,389 Posts
Don't know if this will help:
There are two types of 'throwing up':
1. Regurgitate - very quick spewing up, usually with minimal control or warning
2. Vomit - Usually a little warning, some churning, and pup may even have some control "I gonna heave, I gonna heave. Lemme outside."

This is not 'scientific' and I don't think that Vets will differentiate between the two, unless you do... then the different symptoms may be diagnostic.

For example, if the puppy inhales the food, then quickly throws up... you probably only need to slow down the eating. Purina may taste good and the bland food just so so.... Otherwise, don't know.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I started her on Taste of the Wild Praire Dog Puppy dog food. So far, so good. She has hacked a little but she hasn't vomited.

·
Registered
10,186 Posts
I started her on Taste of the Wild Praire Dog Puppy dog food. So far, so good. She has hacked a little but she hasn't vomited.
You should try feeding her in a way that prevents inhaling the food all at once. They sell special bowls, you can use food dispensing toys or just throw the portion across the floor and let her spent a few minutes picking it all up.

·
Registered
3,053 Posts
Taste of the wild is a great food, it's what I feed! You can also try feeding her kibble through a KONG, or a food puzzle/food ball. The food balls are great for dogs who eat too quickly, they have to push it around and the kibble will slowly fall out of small holes.

·
Registered
6,658 Posts
You should try feeding her in a way that prevents inhaling the food all at once. They sell special bowls, you can use food dispensing toys or just throw the portion across the floor and let her spent a few minutes picking it all up.
Using her meal for training rewards would work as well. Plus extra bonding time!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts