Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
3,153 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My puppy has been home for two weeks now and there has been absolutely zero improvement in her screaming.
She has an ex pen in the living room which contains her crate and a pee pad. Any time I put her in there (when I leave for work, or can?t supervise her) she SCREAMS and barks and leaps at the sides of the pen. As soon as I get home from work, I?m not even through the door and she?s screaming again. Eventually, she will settle, but it takes 10, 15 minutes or more.
Same kind of deal at bed time... I put her in a crate next to my bed, and if I step out of the room to brush my teeth or whatever, the screaming begins.
I?ve been diligent about ignoring her while she?s throwing these fits, but after two weeks, my patience is running thin. Is there anything I can do, or is ?waiting it out? the only way to get her over this?

·
Registered
7,296 Posts
Ignore the screaming, reward the quiet. I like to start with the pen pretty close to me so that I can casually toss a kibble or a treat for quiet without getting up.

You might also try draping when you don't feel like dealing with it so you remove the visual of you walking away.

Welcome to puppyhood! It took mine a week to stop screaming and throwing himself against the crate door, and a few months for general calm in the pen while I walked away. I need to check my records, but I draped a hella lot in the beginning too. I couldn't even handle him in the pen because of the whining that would happen. Which is why I focused only on the crate, draped, and did 18-20 hour crate days. I'm not telling you to do that specifically. I'm just saying, it takes a while. And puppies are very, very Velcro for a while.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts