Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Yorkie chi mix pup is about 11-12 pounds.

She went through a phase where she would refuse to eat at home, no kibble, anyway, just frozen chicken wing tips and liver/salmon treats. Her daycare tried her on K9 and she eats that now (dang pup is also a money pit!!

She is suposed to get .44 oz dry mixed with water PER DAY- she eats that three times a day PLUS 2 chicken wing tips and a few liver treats and hasn't gained an ounce-

She walks a LOT but she's not really a runner and doesn't jump and isn't manic

How much K9 would you recommend I feed my dog and what would you sub for the rest of her diet? (Cost is not a huge issue, but she needs more than pure meat I would think?)

Thanks-

·
Registered
4,248 Posts
If she's not gaining or losing weight than it looks like what you're feeding right now is the right amount.

Now, what do you mean by "what would you sub for the rest of her diet?" Do you mean that you want to feed half K9 and half something else? It's really up to you. It does appear that K9 can be fed exclusively if you wanted (I'd never heard of it, but looked them up). Dogs don't actually need anything but meat (including bones and organs, which this food seems to) so long as it's balanced, which any commercial product should be. If money is no object you have so many options so maybe you could narrow down what you're interested in feeding in addition to the K9.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Actually, it is reassuring to hear that k9 is enough- it suggests supplementing with bones and I assume meat but I am at a loss- didn't know an all meat diet ws OK- not sure what I thought was in kibble but so many mentions of other foods here had me wondering- so your reply is much appreciated!!

·
Registered
4,248 Posts

·
Registered
4,248 Posts
I read the reviews in the link to Dog Food Advisor. I am not sure why anyone would care what a Dentist with no obvious expertise in nutrition thinks. You should be more concerned with how many grams of fat the dog is consuming not so much the dry weight percentage. Since this food is reconstituted the actual amount of fat consumed is not high actually.
Lol, why trust a human dentist when you have some random dude on the internet who you know absolutely nothing about. xD Are YOU an animal nutritionist, Mr. Ed White?

I stand by the fact that DFA is a good resource for comparing foods. I never said to take his opinion as fact and even cautioned not to put too much faith in his conclusions. But as a whole, the information provided as far as ingredient breakdowns is correct. He always states in comments that he is not a vet and cannot diagnose anything or tell anyone what food is best for their dog, so I don't see why everyone always points out that he's a dentist. All he's doing is compiling data, and I personally find that very useful.

Oh, and the dry matter percentages are the only way to compare foods accurately, because differences in water weight distort the actual contents of a food. I'm not sure what you're getting at about reconstituting the food making the actual fat consumed less. That makes no sense. If I take 1 pound of fat and add 1 gallon of water to it, it's still 1 pound of fat.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts