Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone! I'm new here. And feel free to move this if its in the wrong spot.

In September, my border collie/lab puppy (15 years old), was put to sleep. Max got very old and very sick. His whole life he never got sick until his last year or so.

I've missed him so much, but my mom wasn't ready to get a new dog/puppy just yet.

I wanted to get another border collie, or an Austrailan Sheppard, but my mom said they looked to much like Max. So for a month or so (December/January) I was looking at dog breeds, for a small to medium dog (small for my mom, I'd love to get a large dog). I came across the English Springer Spaniel and fell in love. From there I looked up information about them and still thought they were "perfect".

I then contacted a breeder (in January) that lives 3-4 hours away from me and started asking her questions. From all the answers I've gotten back, and looking at other sites I've realized that shes amazing. I have to admight I've never bought any animal from a breeder before, so I had a LOT of questions for her. Its obvious that she doesn't breed to make money and that she loves her dogs a lot.

I've never been to a dog forum, but its been years since I've had a puppy, and I was 4 at the time. So I wanted to find a forum that could help me out with my new puppy :)

The puppies should be ready the middle of May and I'm going crazy with excitment. I'm starting to buy things now, so that I'm not rushing around when I have the puppy (and so the money is spread apart as well).

I have a check list that I'd like you more experienced dog/puppy owners to look over and maybe add to or take away est.

Bed, Puppy kong, Rope toy, Chew toy(s), Rawhide chew, Water bowl, Food bowl, Leash, Collar, Harnes, Tag, Food, Treats, Poop bags (eco friendly), Dog brush, Shampoo/condisner, Nail Clippers and Ear Cleaner.

I also want to know your oppinion(s) on crate training. I don't no if I like it, but I'm up for my mind being changed.

Hmm I don't no if I'm missing anything! Just as a last note, any advice for a new puppy, or even any experence you've had with ESS's

·
Registered
823 Posts
I highly recommend crate training. My dogs run right to their cage when we get ready to leave or go to bed and sometimes nap in their crate. It keeps them out of trouble and was a huge help when potty training. Congrats on the puppy! You must be so excited!

·
Registered
3,850 Posts
Definitely go with a crate. It makes housetraining so much less stressful, and allows you to safely transport the dog in a vehicle. It'll be the best money you ever spent.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I am very excited! We're trying to find a way for my mom, dad and brother to all go down to pick out the pup. If we can't I'll be going down with my friend alone.

The only problem I have with crate training is keeping them in a cage. I'm open to change my ideas on it, but my mom really doesn't want to. We've decided (when we talked about it) was that when we were to go to bed, he'd go in the kitchen (we don't keep anything dangerous in there, safest place in my house, and the doors all have safty locks on them) as his "crate".

If we do decide to, would you recommend a crate that would fit them as an adult or get one that fits them up a specific age/month?

·
Registered
7,761 Posts
Congrats and good luck planning for your new pup :)

I have a check list that I'd like you more experienced dog/puppy owners to look over and maybe add to or take away est.

Bed, Puppy kong, Rope toy, Chew toy(s), Rawhide chew, Water bowl, Food bowl, Leash, Collar, Harnes, Tag, Food, Treats, Poop bags (eco friendly), Dog brush, Shampoo/condisner, Nail Clippers and Ear Cleaner.
I would forget the rawhides, as they are a major cause of blockages in dogs. Also be careful with other toys...make sure there are no small, parts that could be torn off and swallowed...it's like planning for a baby. Eyes on stuffies are on example.

Check out the vaccine/licensing requirements in your area to make sure you know the latest.

I also want to know your oppinion(s) on crate training. I don't no if I like it, but I'm up for my mind being changed.
I would also vote "yes" for a crate and crate-training. Even if you elect not to use one at home all the time, it's nice to have for car rides, traveling, etc. Invaluable for housetraining and keeping your puppy out of mischief when you have to concentrate on something else for a bit, and your pup doesn't know the rules of the house yet.

From the pup's side, it's a place s/he can go to be safe and undisturbed. My dogs will crate themselves if they get overly stressed about something, or just want to take a nap and not be bothered. There are a lot of great threads on crate-training on this board.

A couple other things...you'll want to set up an appt with your vet well in advance to make sure you can bring the pup in right away. Check into area puppy classes to see if there is a facility/trainer you like, to help with early training and socialization in a controlled environment. Read up on training techniques and such...even if you don't care if your dog is heeling perfectly or performing circus tricks, having a well-mannered dog makes most households much more peaceful.

If we do decide to, would you recommend a crate that would fit them as an adult or get one that fits them up a specific age/month?
They have crates with a moveable middle panel, so that you can get a crate that will fit the adult dog, but block off progressively smaller parts of it as the pup grows. If the crate is too big for the pup, it will not help with housetraining as the pup will just potty in one area and sleep in another.

·
Registered
3,850 Posts
From the pup's side, it's a place s/he can go to be safe and undisturbed. My dogs will crate themselves if they get overly stressed about something, or just want to take a nap and not be bothered. There are a lot of great threads on crate-training on this board.
The crate is invaluable when you have to go out for an hour or two. Springer puppies will find something to amuse themselves if left alone to run free. That I guarantee. Many puppies eat things that easily pass through the front end and have to be surgically removed because the block up the back end. I always get puppies who are attracted to chewing on live electrical wires. A crate can be the difference between a pup surviving to adulthood and...the alternative.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Anything vet related is taken care of. I work at a vet so I'm all up to date with all that lovely stuff :)

I know with rawhides to get rid of them before they get to small, but your right maybe I'll just stay clear of that.

I'll look up the stuff on her about crate training. I see animals in cages all day and upsets me. But I do no it is saver for the puppy and I do semi agree with it (I've just never had to do it before) so I'll look into getting the two in one crate that you were talking about. Is there a size you would recommend for Springers? (again, never bought one before.) If I'm correct they should be able to stand up straight and be able to turn around right?

The house is pretty much "puppy" proofed already as I have ferrets and needed to take care of that already. Just have to do upwards of 2-3 more feet.

One thing I haven't really thought of was going to a puppy school. Also something I've never done. Max didn't go, and he was very well mannered; he also loved other dogs and people, up until he was old and cranky. I'll see how that goes, and look around. Theres one I know of, but a few to keep in mind never hurts.

I think I remembered everything that was talked about. Thanks so much! I'm trying to keep busy so I don't feel like May's so far away LOL (a whole three months!).

Oh one more thing!...What type of bed would you recommend for a puppy? Something that'll help teach him/her that its to sleep on, not chew? I know offer lots of toys so he can play with instead, but it can always happen.

·
Registered
4,966 Posts
Enzymatic cleaner is a must. Regular cleaner won't get accidents out of carpet, and there will be accidents, no matter how vigilant you are...

Brushes you have. Not sure which specific ones you'd need for an ESS but I'd also recommend some grooming wipes.

A leash of regular length, plus an extra-long one for stay and recall training. You won't use it immediately, but you'll need it eventually.

·
Registered
7,761 Posts
Anything vet related is taken care of. I work at a vet so I'm all up to date with all that lovely stuff :)
Excellent :)

I'll look up the stuff on her about crate training. I see animals in cages all day and upsets me. But I do no it is saver for the puppy and I do semi agree with it (I've just never had to do it before) so I'll look into getting the two in one crate that you were talking about. Is there a size you would recommend for Springers? (again, never bought one before.) If I'm correct they should be able to stand up straight and be able to turn around right?
Well according to the AKC website: "Average size: 40 to 50 pounds and 19 to 20 inches tall at the shoulder" for Springer Spaniels (I had no idea how big they are). Assuming the parents are both in that range, I would get a 36" crate. I like the Midwest wire crates, but that's just me preference. I throw a sheet over the top since my dogs prefer their crates covered and I know they won't chew it.

I'm of the school that likes to oversize my dogs' crates so they are stretch flat out on their side, full-length...however they don't actually *get* all that room until they are fully adapted to their crate and potty-trained.

Keep in mind that dogs being locked into a cage in a strange environment like a vet's office is not at all like a dog being put in a familiar cage to which s/he has been properly conditioned with entirely positive reinforcement, and given items to help pass the time (durable chews, stuffed Kongs, etc.).

Oh one more thing!...What type of bed would you recommend for a puppy? Something that'll help teach him/her that its to sleep on, not chew? I know offer lots of toys so he can play with instead, but it can always happen.
I just used an old folded towel in the crate until I knew they were not going to destroy a bed, but to have something there in case of accidents and to make it a bit softer. Now they just have those pseudo sheepskin beds that are fitted for crates. If you want something super chew-proof, Renoman has some excellent beds for that, but I can't for the life of me remember what they are. You'd have to pm her most likely.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks so much everyone :)

I've talked my mom into getting a crate, found one by my house thats about $90 for the size I need and it has the puppy sizing thingy that was talked about. Haven't been able to find a crate training thread here yet, but then I haven't had the time to actually look in detail yet.

I'll stick to towels for now, good idea!

LOL yep my house is ferret poof :) Well for my boys any ways. When I got the girls, the all got stuck to my room because there is no way to ferret proof the couch for them. But we are getting a new couch soon so I hope that changes, I miss having them everywhere :( . But my room is ferret proofed and they are out 27/4.

Oh and for the cleaner, I don't have carpet at all in my house, but I'll be sure to pick that up as well! Thanks!

·
Registered
340 Posts
Congrats! I was noticing on the Westminster show how gorgeous the English Springer Spaniel is. Do you know if you want a male or female or are you going to just see which you like best?

I'm in agreement with everybody on the crate training. I used to think of it as a "cage" but now I think of it as my dog's room. I know that probably sounds silly but he goes in there all the time to just chill for a bit. He goes on his own and the door stays open. I can tell he really likes it so I think of it as my bedroom when I was a teenager. LOL In fact, he's earned house privilges since the beginning of the year but I still have the crate up because he still goes in there.

Can't wait for pics!

·
Registered
482 Posts
I'm not an experienced puppy owner (we had them when I was young, but this is the first time I've had a puppy that is completely my responsibility) but I am a new puppy owner, so the experience is fresh in my mind!

I was completely and 100% against crate training until my brother and his wife got a lab, and decided to crate train. Just seeing how much Abby (the lab) LOVES her crate was enough to change my mind. I have a friend who has a dog (mutt) and she also loves her crate with all her heart and soul. It is their safe haven. At first, they will cry like crazy in there, but it's not about hating the crate, it's about missing you! They would miss you whether they are in the crate or not!

I can honestly say that I'm pretty sure my new puppy would not be alive it it weren't for her crate. We have to watch her 100% of the time or she will chew on/eat something (houseplants, electrical wires, furniture, cats, etc.). Obviously, there are times when we simply cannot be there and those are the times that she goes in her crate. She also goes in there to sleep at night (it is located in our room).

I also highly recommend puppy class! Not only is it a chance for you to learn/bond with your pup, it is a chance for her to be around/socialize with other dogs. I, too, have had dogs in the past, and would consider them well trained. They never went to class, or were crate trained. But... after seeing Abby... she's just crazy amazing. I want a dog as well trained and happy as she is!! Additionally, each dog is different and while some might be perfectly fine without additional training, others might really need it!

Regarding your list: I might have missed it but I didn't see a doggy toothbrush/toothpaste on there. You'll want to get these early so your pup can get used to them while he/she is little.

Regarding the bed: I got Luna (my pup) a cheap bed from Menards (hardware store). She will definitely outgrow it, but it was only $5.99 and she enjoys laying on it. (She also has a regular pillow that I sacrificed for her). I only use these "chewable" beds when she can be supervised. I use towels in the crate.

Also, start researching what kind of dog food you will feed her/him. There are so many options out there and it can be overwhelming! Ask the breeder for their recommendation, but also do some research on your own. http://www.dogfoodanalysis.com is a great place to start researching foods!

Regarding toys: I have two kongs (and plan to get more) because I keep them in the freezer stuffed with nonfat yogurt and/or 100% pumpkin. Luna loves them, and if I really need her to behave I can just pop one out and give it to her. Luna also gets really excited about new toys (and bored with her old ones), so if you buy a bunch of treats, don't give them all at the same time. Give her a couple at a time, and gradually give new ones as she tires of the old ones.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks so much! I love all the info.

I think out of everything, food is going to be the hardest thing to decide. I'm thinking of Innova Puppy Food, but I need to see if I can get it at work or not. I'm hopeing.

Oh! I forgot to put a tooth brush, that I'm getting for sure. Max's teeth were horrible, but he wouldn't let anyone near his mouth for a tooth brush...thats something that I don't want to have a problem with with the puppy.

He/She will be socialized, even without puppy training...I dunno, I'll still have to think about that one, I'm extremly shy so the only reason why I'm just "thinking" is because I don't like being around a lot of people. But hey, it might be good for us both!

Toy's are another thing I am worried about, cuz I've seen dogs (*cough* my bosses dog) destory a stuffed animal in a matter of seconds, mine for that matter *glares*. I just don't no if I'll get the "right" ones. I go to the pet store and look at them and its like I go through "that could possibly be unsafe, same with that one and that one and...".

How soon can I start teaching to fetch a ball? Max would always chase them but never bring them back. He'd run for it, grab it and then walk around then drop it. Should I get smaller tennis balls to start with? Until he/she is older?

Oh and crate!...Does this look like a good size? (I wanted to get the giant, but my mom said no LOL I talked her into the xxlarge one :rolleyes: ) MidWest Stages 3 Door Dog Crate I'm going to see about ordering it online, if my dad agrees with it.

Thanks again everyone :) Oh forgot again, I think someone asked if we were getting a male or female. Leaning more twards a male but if there is a female we fall in love with, we'll get her :)

·
Registered
482 Posts
Toy's are another thing I am worried about, cuz I've seen dogs (*cough* my bosses dog) destory a stuffed animal in a matter of seconds, mine for that matter *glares*. I just don't no if I'll get the "right" ones. I go to the pet store and look at them and its like I go through "that could possibly be unsafe, same with that one and that one and...".
Just be sure to supervise your puppy with the toys. Some of the harder ones (Kongs for example) *can* be left with puppy in the crate, but not until after you've watched him and made sure he isn't going to demolish it. Some dogs destroy toys, some do not. My pup mostly just chews on them without the intent to destroy, but a few of the cheaper ones (75% off Petco Christmas toys) are starting to show some wear & tear.

How soon can I start teaching to fetch a ball? Max would always chase them but never bring them back. He'd run for it, grab it and then walk around then drop it. Should I get smaller tennis balls to start with? Until he/she is older?
I'm starting with Luna on fetch right away. I'm no expert though (she's not doing too well, and rarely brings the ball back). She's 12 weeks old, and was 10 weeks when I got her. How old will your puppy be when you get him? Just make sure the balls are not so small that they will fit down puppy's throat. Luna uses regular tennis balls, but she is a larger breed dog. Her favorite to fetch is a stuffed ball, though.

Oh and crate!...Does this look like a good size?
I think that crate is too big for a cocker spaniel. I know it's tempting to get the largest crate possible, but really the crate should be only big enough so your dog can lie down, turn around, and have three to four inches of extra head space when sitting or standing.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks for the info! He/She will probably be 7/8 weeks. I forget what one (I no, a bit young, I wish it was a bit longer but...). Maybe I'll just get a bigger tennis ball and just use stuffed toy's to learn "fetch".

I think that crate is too big for a cocker spaniel. I know it's tempting to get the largest crate possible, but really the crate should be only big enough so your dog can lie down, turn around, and have three to four inches of extra head space when sitting or standing.
LOL I'm not getting a cocker spaniel, then even I would agree that would be to big. The get to about 40 to 50/55 pounds, I'm going to ask the breeder as well, but I think it would either be that one or the 36". I just want something that he/she can strech right out in when he/she is older :)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts