Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

Puppy hyper when socialized?

679 views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  Lilly's Mom 
#1 ·
Hey, I have a 4 month old Beagle pup named Brownie and problems have emerged lately. We have been trying to socialize him with other dogs in the nieghbourhood, but it seems like Brownie is scaring all the dogs away.

Heres what happens,

Whenever he meets a new dog, he and the other dog will sniff each other for a few seconds. But it will always be Brownie who acts first and he often will approach the other dog in a way that will always scare the other dog. It does not seem like he's trying to be aggresive or anything, but whatever he does always makes the other dogs back away and bark. It looks like a game of tag with Brownie always being it. Eventually he pisses off the other dog. He does this to any dog, no matter how big or small. Is this something that should be looked out for? Or is this just an immature puppy learning the ways of the world?

Thanks.

#2 ·
At 4 months old his puppy license is about to expire. Older dogs will no no longer tolerate rude, ill-mannered puppy behavior. They are trying to set him straight...telling him they won't play when he behaves like that. He will gradually learn to approach other dogs more cautiously, slowly and with more 'respect'.

#3 ·
I have the same problem with my 6 mo old puppy Lilly. She is only 15 lbs so she is pretty small but she loves dogs of all sizes and gets so excited that she jumps all over them instead of politely sniffing. We take her to a puppy play class once a week and she does great in a group. The problem is when we are on walks. I always warn the dog owner that Lilly tends to jump and play nips. I also make her sit while the other dog approaches her. She is getting a little better but we still have lots of work to do.

Good luck!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.